Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Other Discussion Categories | Services for Specific Groups
Can I get the Child Tax Benefit outside Canada?
 New Topic
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  


5 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am canadian citizen.

MY child is born outside of canada.

Right now I am living with child outside of canada.

Someone have any knowledge please share with me



12818 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  14:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

You can find information on the Canada Child Tax Benefit here:

What is the Canada Child Tax Benefit?

Here is an excerpt:

"Who Can Receive the CCTB?

You have to be the person who is mainly responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.

This means you would be responsible for such things as watch over the child's daily activities and needs, making sure the child's medical needs are met, and arranging for child care when necessary.

If the female parent lives with the child, the government usually consider her to be this person. However, it can be the father, a grandparent, or a guardian.

You have to live with the child and be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes.

In addition, you and/or your spouse or common-law partner must be one of the following:

*Canadian citizen;
*permanent resident (landed immigrant) under the Immigration Act and Regulations;
*Convention refugee under the Immigration Act and Regulations; or
*visitor to Canada or a holder of a minister's permit under the Immigration Act and Regulations who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months and has a valid permit in the 19th month (other than one that states "does not confer status")."

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content Coordinator, CIRS


1 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  20:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ,im canadian citizen for 5 years,, and i have a child who is almost 3 yr old and im in pakistan for last 2 year,,and my son born in pak ,,but i never applied for his citizen ship or applied for his benefits,,,but i(along with his mother) am taking care of him for last 3 years,i lost all of my savings and in fact in debt now which i took for monthly expenses,,,if i apply for his citizen ship or permenent residency,,can i get the benefits which he is eligible for the last 3 years,,or they will give me these benefits from the day he become canadian permanent resident?i didnt file taxes for last 3 yrs either..since 2005 ...or wat is the procedure,, i can apply his passport in pak too,or i have to come to canada? and can i get benefits of last 3 years.,...once he get the citizenship


10 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  12:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am an aspiring immigrant. I will be coming over with my two children. Will I be eligible for Canada Child Tax Benefit without a job as soon as I arrive.
Thanks, Kemi.



1 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  17:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Please urgent help!! The father of my kid is a Canadian citizen and I`m still married to him. We are separated but still married by law. I have a severe physical condition (herniated discs) who doesn`t allow me to work and the government of Guatemala where I live with the lovely daughter doesn`t help me at all.

I have to constantly telling the father of my kid to send some money for her because I can`t cover her expenses and he sometimes send 100can$ (per month). This is very little money and I can`t cover her school, clothes, healthcare, etc expenses...

1. Could you please tell me what benefits my daughter has?

2. What benefits I have as her wife?

3. I don`t have the money to pay for a lawyer , how can I get legal aid to get maintenance enforcement order so that the father of my kid pays a child support every month?
4. Is my daughter entitled to the family allowance and other family benefits being a Canadian citizen living outside Canada?

Please give me some light with this, I will truly appreciate it!

thank you! Marcela

 New Topic
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: