Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Questions about Permanent Residency
Stamp on Passport
 New Topic
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  


3 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  06:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am a permanent resident of Canada and got my PR in August 2008. Last year, I entered Canada through Montreal Airport and the immigration officer did not even ask any questions but wrote the following on my entry stamp "RR" and "CRP". What does this mean? Will I have any problem enterting Canada again? I am currently overseas.




12823 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  16:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Cheetah,

Thanks for sharing your question with us.

From the information we have gathered these codes simply refer to:

RR stands for "Returning Resident"
CRP stands for "confirmation de résidence permanente (CRP)"

In terms of re-entering Canada, as you may already know, in order to complete your residency requirements, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

Basically, what happens is that, each time you enter Canada, Citizenship and Immigration may calculate 5 years back from the date you have entered or re-entered Canada to see if you have fulfilled your residency obligation.

According to the CIC ENF 23 Loss of Permanent Resident Status manual.

Here is an excerpt from section 7.1,

"A28(2)(b) and A31(3) provide that the onus rests with the permanent resident to provide information and evidence to satisfy an officer that the residency obligation has been/will be met.

Put simply, this means that the permanent resident bears the full responsibility of demonstrating-—with supporting documentation as considered necessary by an officer-—that they were physically present in Canada for the required number of days or that they have otherwise met (or will be able to meet) the residency obligation as prescribed in IRPA.

The permanent resident also bears the onus of presenting documentation that is credible, in the opinion of an officer, to support any assertion(s) made by the permanent resident, or that may have been made on behalf of that permanent resident."

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS


3 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  07:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks very much Anna. This was helpful.


 New Topic
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: