Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

Post Grad. Work Permit and Extending study permit 

AW1992
AW1992

Posted On: 4/20/2015
AW1992
AW1992
Hello,

OK so my situation is this. I am an international student, graduating from University in June (I was full-time for 4 years). I want to stay in Canada on a PGWP after this but I want to take Real Estate courses as well (in Ontario where I have been studying).

So in short I would like to work full time and take some course on the side (there is only about 7 course which shouldn't take me more than 6 months to complete).

I called the CIC call center and they said I should apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit AND to extend my study permit? I read a similar thread on here that said something different but after calling I am now not sure what to do.

I hope this all makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
link

Posted On: 4/21/2015
Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

Generally, to study in Canada you need a study permit. However, there are some exceptions. One of the main exceptions is for courses that last six months or less. The following is from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website(CIC):
If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

You can find out more about study permits in the Settlement.Org article Do I need a study permit? How do I apply?

You may also want to call the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre for follow-up advice specific to your situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

==
Julia
Settlement.Org Team
link