Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Driving in Canada on International License/Permit 

muz
muz

Posted On: 5/24/2015
muz
muz
I landed in Canada as an immigrant in July 2012 and stayed in Canada just for 10 days, Now next month I am moving back to Canada (Toronto) for permanent settlement. I am holding light motor vehicle drivers license (Abu Dhabi, UAE) for last 15 years.Am I eligible to drive on this license for few months ? Do I need to get International driving permit from UAE to drive in Ontario ?
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/24/2015
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you can find some information about replacing an out-of-country driver's license here:

I have a driver's licence from another country. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?
and here: Out of country drivers.

In short: you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. With the driving experience you have (you'll need to prove it though) you can immediately take a G road test. Make sure you pass this test as an unsuccessful G test will result in a mandatory G2 test to continue. This may have a significant impact on your insurance premiums.

When I landed in Toronto, I was able to simply exchange my foreign licence with a full G licence, but no insurance company cared for my previous 26 years experience. Long story short, my annual premium would have been more than $5000, with some companies asking more than $8000. I'm mentioning this in case you are not aware of the ridiculously high insurance premiums in Ontario. According to The Ten Most Costly Cities for Car Insurance in Canada, Torontonians pay, on average, 55 percent more than drivers anywhere else in the country. More information can be found here: Understanding Automobile Insurance. Sorry, I know this wasn't part of your question, but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case you're not aware of what to expect.
link
muz
muz

Posted On: 5/25/2015
muz
muz
Your answer is not clear for me ! My question is whether I can drive on international permit/license for first few months once I reach ontario from UAE for permanent settlement. I am planning to apply for driving license license after three months of my sttlement.
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/25/2015
Klaus
Klaus
I'm sorry I failed to quote the content of the linked websites. Here's the first paragraph from Out of country drivers:
If you are a newcomer to Ontario and hold a driver's licence from another province or country, you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. If you hold a non-Ontario licence, you are legally allowed to drive in Ontario for 60 days before an exchange is required.

So no, you can not wait three months before you apply for an Ontario diver's licence. You don't need an International Driver's Permit either, but it sure doesn't hurt to have one as it makes things more complicated if you get pulled over and the officer can't read your licence.
link
muz
muz

Posted On: 5/26/2015
muz
muz
Hello Klaus,

It says "non-Ontario license holders can drive in Ontario for 60 days before an exchange is required". Since I am also new to Ontario and hold international license (which means non-Ontario License), then I should be able to drive legally in Ontario for first 60 days ! Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks,
MUZ
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/26/2015
Klaus
Klaus
That is correct.
link