Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Urgent processing of PR card 

Sputnick
Sputnick

Posted On: 2/5/2016
Sputnick
Sputnick
Hi,
My PR card will expire on 10 Oct 2016 and I will be eligible to apply for PR card renewal on 20 June 2016, when my physical presence in Canada will be accumulated to 735 days.

I have to fly outside Canada on 24 August 2016 (the date when my present PR card will remain valid) and I want to return to Canada on 25 October 2016, when my current PR card will be expired.

I would like to get my new PR card before I leave Canada on 24 August 2016, so that I will have a valid PR card when I am returning to Canada on 25 October 2016.

I am planning to apply for urgent processing of my PR card renewal application.

According to my situation,am I eligible to apply for urgent processing of my application? Anybody has any experience like this? Please share and suggest me.

Hanamina
link
philippe
philippe

Posted On: 2/5/2016
philippe
philippe

Hi,
My PR card will expire on 10 Oct 2016 and I will be eligible to apply for PR card renewal on 20 June 2016, when my physical presence in Canada will be accumulated to 735 days.

I have to fly outside Canada on 24 August 2016 (the date when my present PR card will remain valid) and I want to return to Canada on 25 October 2016, when my current PR card will be expired.

I would like to get my new PR card before I leave Canada on 24 August 2016, so that I will have a valid PR card when I am returning to Canada on 25 October 2016.

According to my situation,am I eligible to apply for urgent processing of my application? Anybody has any experience like this? Please share and suggest me.

Hanamina

everyone is eligible. you need to book return ticket showing dates you plan to leave and attach proof of payment
link
TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian

Posted On: 2/6/2016
TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hey,
The rules are very clear and you can apply for renewal as long as the date of renewal is less than 270 calendar days. As on today it is just 247. Go ahead and apply for the same.

The rules are reproduced here for your benefit:
You can apply for another permanent resident card (PR card) if your card: has expired or will soon expire,
has been lost or stolen, or has been destroyed.

To replace a PR card, follow the same steps to apply for a permanent resident card. You will need to provide the same documents, including photographs, and pay the $50 fee.

***Important information: Do not apply for a renewal of your current PR card if it is still valid for more than nine (9) months (270 days), unless it is due to a legal name change. Otherwise, your application will be returned.***

You should only apply for a permanent resident (PR) card if: you did not get a PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada; you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months;
you have legally changed your name and need to update the name on your PR card.

*** I'm not a Govt. / Public or Private agency employee ***

All the best!

Hi,
My PR card will expire on 10 Oct 2016 and.........
Please share and suggest me.

Hanamina
link
Sputnick
Sputnick

Posted On: 2/10/2016
Sputnick
Sputnick
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am a bit confused when you say that everyone is eligible for urgent processing of PR card. CIC website says, you need to travel after 6 weeks of your application date.

I am traveling after 6 weeks of my application submission date. But during my travel out of Canada (24 August 2016) my existing PR card will remain valid (The PR card expires on 10 Oct, 2016). I know I don't need a PR card when I am leaving Canada. My concern is when I am returning to Canada by commercial means, I need to have a valid PR card in my possession at the POE. I will return to Canada in November, 2016 and I need a valid PR card for that. This is why I am going to apply or urgent procession. I need to travel due to family reasons. Please clarify, if possible:
1. Do I need to justify why I need urgent processing or I just include my return ticket and proof of payment with my urgent application.
2. I think one can apply for urgent processing even if he has a valid PR card (which will expire in less than 9 months)during departure from Canada. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Would you please share your experiences with me?

Hi,

Hanamina

everyone is eligible. you need to book return ticket showing dates you plan to leave and attach proof of payment

Hanamina
link