Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Other Discussion Categories | Daily Life
Community Start - Up Allowance
 New Topic
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  


1678 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  13:06:21  Show Profile

I am trying to find information on the Community Start up allowance that is given to people on the Ontario Works Program.

I would like information on the case, for example, an adult with 2 children. In the situation where they are starting out on their own.

I would like to know what the start up and moving allowances are (amounts).

I am looking for this type of information related to Windsor, Ontario.


12821 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  17:07:08  Show Profile
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

You can find some information on this allowance here:

Community Start-Up and Maintenance Benefit

Here are some excerpts from this publication,

"How much money can I get?

If you have one or more dependent children, you can get up to $1500 in addition to the regular amount of your OW financial assistance or your ODSP income support.

Otherwise, you can get up to $799 in addition to your regular OW or ODSP amount.

This is the usual maximum amount you can get in a 24-month period. But not everyone gets the maximum.

And, in exceptional circumstances — such as domestic violence, fire, flood, or if you need to move because of a disability that you have — you might be able to get more."

"How do I apply?

Contact an OW or ODSP office to apply.

You should apply as soon as you know you need the money. If you have already moved, you are expected to apply within one month of the date you moved into your new home.

Make a list of the things you need, showing how much each thing costs, and give it to the OW or ODSP office where you apply. Include everything you need, even if the total cost is more than the maximum benefit, because some things might not be approved.

Also include proof of the costs. For example, as proof of the amount you have to pay for the last month’s rent, you could attach a copy of your lease or a letter from your landlord.

If you need help with your application, contact your community legal clinic."

You can find the nearest Ontario Works office here:

Ontario Works Local Office - Windsor

You can find the nearest Community Legal Clinic here:

[R]Find Help Close to Home - Windsor and Area

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS

 New Topic
 Topic Locked
Jump To: