Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Can I renew my PR card from abroad while I study? 

amriksingh
amriksingh

Posted On: 9/22/2011
amriksingh
amriksingh
Hi,
*I am 18 years at present and landed in Canada ( Ontario ) from India with my parents in 2009. My PR card is valid till 2014.
*I am continuing my study in India in a Medical College and will complete my Medical Degree in 2016 .
*One of my parents is in Canada and will come back to India after completing 730 days in Canada and will stay with me and my other parent who is staying with me in India will go to Canada to complete 730 days of minimum physical presence.
* Due to my studies in India I shall not be able to meet the minimum 730 days physical presence in Canada till 2014 ( Expiry date of my PR card ) .

My Question is :-
How can I renew my PR card without giving a break to my study in India ?

Thanks in Advance
amrik
link
maxshiau
maxshiau

Posted On: 9/2/2015
maxshiau
maxshiau
Hi buddy i am sorry to hear about your situation, I was nearly in your shoes, i hope you are still following up on this thread. I have some information that will help you.
I was in the situation like you, i landed in 2009 while i was still in 2nd year medical school in Europe, got my PR and went back to school obviously!
I graduated 4 months before my PR expired, so i cam into Canada pronto!
The below statements if from a Canadian immigration lawyer:
The PR card is just a travel document it does not represent your PR status.
PR status is always intact unless revoked by an official.
After revocation you are allowed to appeal.
You my friend will fall into the category of H&C (Humanitarian and compassionate reasons)
you must provide proof that you were enrolled in the medical university before landing, and proof that you were a full time student with no longer then 6 months gap from after graduation to returning to Canada.
unfortunately there is a gray area in the proceedings. so try to read carefully below.
there is no appeal procedure prior to being revoked through official channels such as online application for PR renewal and in the renewal application sheet there are no H&C column for you to fill in.
You may only appeal after you have been revoked, in which you will be granted the right for extension under H&C.
Since you will not be able to be in Canada before your PR card expires and stay till it is expired to apply and renewal while you are in Canada, i suggest you hire a immigration lawyer in Canada on one of your summer vacation while your PR card is still valid and make a trip to Canada, a lawyer will be able to appeal for you or take your case into process and apply renewal before the PR expires.
Hope this help, you may write me on my email if you have any further question.
P.S if you are looking to become a Dr. in Canada i would strongly suggest you try somewhere else such as the USA.
link