Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Other Discussion Categories | Legal Services and Human Rights
Person won't return Social Insurance Number Card
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

user

Ontario
1583 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  12:02:42  Show Profile
I am a landed immigrant, stay just 10 day in Canda , started my SIN card, [then] I met a youth (student) [who] accepted to recive my SIN on his adress. We communicated with e-mail, for more than one year, [then] he failed (maybe do not want) to send the SIN to me.

Now I am outside Canada, I will return afeter one week, what can I do now? And when arrive in Canada?

Dave

Ontario
405 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  12:07:01  Show Profile
quote:

I am a landed immigrant, stay just 10 day in Canda , started my SIN card, [then] I met a youth (student) [who] accepted to recive my SIN on his adress. We communicated with e-mail, for more than one year, [then] he failed (maybe do not want) to send the SIN to me.

Now I am outside Canada, I will return afeter one week, what can I do now? And when arrive in Canada?

When you get to Canada you should contact the person and ask for your card.

If they won't give you the card back you should contact the government ministry in charge of the SIN card, HRDC.
For contact information read our article:
What if my Health Card or Social Insurance Number card is stolen or lost?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000185

You should also make sure that this person hasn't used your SIN card to impersonate you or to "steal your identity". The SIN card is a very important piece of identification and you should always be careful giving out the number.

Dave Montague
Web Coordinator
OCASI, Settlement.Org

Ontario
12097 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  15:09:58  Show Profile
quote:
This is a useful lesson for other people. Your SIN card is an important identity document that you should not share with many people.

If this person does not want to give you your card back, it is possible that they or someone else is using it. This can have many effects on you. They may have gotten a job using your SIN card. It is the SIN card that is used to identify you for income tax and benefit purposes. That means that if it was used this year, while you were away, you may have problems next year when you file your taxes, because the official record will show that you worked this year! This person may have ordered credit cards using your SIN card, which means that your credit history can be affected.

The list is long and the effects on you can be even longer when you try to establish a credit rating in Canada, etc.

If you do not get the card back from this student, you will definitely need to, as Dave says, report the card lost or stolen. We can not advise you on how you approach HRDC, but they will not be very impressed that you may have "lost" your SIN card a year ago and only now are reporting it lost. However, you will need to find out from the student, or from HRDC if the card was used in any way by someone else.

It will be important for you to find out this information.

For more information about the SIN Card and your privacy, read this information:

http://www.privcom.gc.ca/fs-fi/02_05_d_02_e.asp

and

How do I get a Social Insurance Number?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000100

Also, read this article:

What do I need to know about credit and my credit history?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000265

I hope this information is helpful.

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000