Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Counting Five Year Period 

Talba
Talba

Posted On: 3/18/2015
Talba
Talba
Hi
My date of landing is 28 October 2010.
So I became PR on this date but the expiry date of PR card is 29 November, 2015. Should it not be 29 October, 2015 after the passage of 5 years?
Also should I cover my 730 days of requirement for reissue of PR till 29 October 2015 or 29 November 2015?
Thnaks
Talba
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/18/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi
So I became PR on this date but the expiry date of PR card is 29 November, 2015. Should it not be 29 October, 2015 after the passage of 5 years?
Also should I cover my 730 days of requirement for reissue of PR till 29 October 2015 or 29 November 2015?
Thnaks
Talba

1. The expiry date of the PR is 5 years after the date it was printed.
2. Your 5 year period to count for the Residency Obligation is from 28/10/2015

PMM
link
Talba
Talba

Posted On: 3/19/2015
Talba
Talba

Hi

Hi
Thnaks
Talba

PMM

Thanks PMM
In my opinion too I need to reside in Canada for 730 daysin the period that begins on the day of my landing i.e. 28 October 2010 to 28 October 2015. My PR Card has the expiry date of 29 November 2015. It is strange. The expiry date should have been 5 years after my landing i.e. it should have been 29 October, 2015.
I thought that perhaps a grace period of one month is given.
It is strange!
Talba
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/19/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

Hi
Thnaks
Talba

PMM

Thanks PMM
In my opinion too I need to reside in Canada for 730 daysin the period that begins on the day of my landing i.e. 28 October 2010 to 28 October 2015. My PR Card has the expiry date of 29 November 2015. It is strange. The expiry date should have been 5 years after my landing i.e. it should have been 29 October, 2015.
It is strange!
Talba

1. As explained you have to reside for 2 years in the 5 years after you date of "landing" to maintain PR status.
2. There is no grace period.

PMM
link
Talba
Talba

Posted On: 3/20/2015
Talba
Talba

Hi

Hi

Hi
Thnaks
Talba

PMM

Thanks PMM
It is strange!
Talba

1. As explained you have to reside for 2 years in the 5 years after you date of "landing" to maintain PR status.

PMM

Thanks
But it does not resolve the issue. The rule of 5 years I know. My card was printed after a week of my landing i.e. in the first week of November 2010. Then the question still remains: why is the expiry date 29 November 2015. If any expert knows the answer he may kindly furnish it since it does raise the question of span in which the condition of 730 days is to be fulfilled.
Thanks
link
Klaus
Klaus

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you will find it very difficult to get an answer from someone more knowledgeable than PMM. His (or her? I have no idea) answer was accurate. Let me try to explain it in my words.
The card is always issued after you land and it expires five years after it has been issued. This is why the expiry date is later than five years after the landing date. This is not a grace period.
Neither of these dates is important when it comes to the renewal. You do not lose your PR status just because the PR card has expired. When you apply for a new PR card, CIC will check whether or not you have resided in Canada for at least 730 days in the five years prior to applying for the new card.
In your particular case, you have not been a permanent resident for five years. Therefore, CIC will check that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five years of the date you became a permanent resident.

More information can be found here.

I hope this helps
Klaus
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

Hi

Hi
Thnaks
Talba

PMM

Thanks PMM
It is strange!
Talba

PMM

Thanks
But it does not resolve the issue. The rule of 5 years I know. My card was printed after a week of my landing i.e. in the first week of November 2010. Then the question still remains: why is the expiry date 29 November 2015. If any expert knows the answer he may kindly furnish it since it does raise the question of span in which the condition of 730 days is to be fulfilled.
Thanks

1, The following statement can't be any clearer.

"Appendix A: Residency obligation
Minimum residency obligations

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more

you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident."

PMM
link
Talba
Talba

Posted On: 3/22/2015
Talba
Talba

Hi

Hi

Hi

Hi
Thnaks
Talba

PMM

Thanks PMM
It is strange!
Talba

PMM

Thanks
Thanks

1, The following statement can't be any clearer.

"Appendix A: Residency obligation
Minimum residency obligations

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more

you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident."

PMM

Thanks. I very much appreciate the replies to my queries.
I would be completing 730 days on 18th May. So I think I can apply for the renewal of PR card on 19th May much before the expiry of 5 year period. Am I right?
Another person's 730 days are completed on 1 October. So he can apply only on 2 october although expiry dates of both of our cards are the same. Am I right?
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 3/23/2015
Klaus
Klaus
I would be completing 730 days on 18th May. So I think I can apply for the renewal of PR card on 19th May much before the expiry of 5 year period. Am I right?

You may want to re-read what PMM quoted:

If you have been a PR for less than five years, you do not need to have accumulated 730 days when you apply, you just need to be able to accumulate 730 days during the five years after you became a permanent resident. You can apply for a new PR card nine months before it expires, so you could actually do it tomorrow if you like.

Another person's 730 days are completed on 1 October. So he can apply only on 2 october although expiry dates of both of our cards are the same. Am I right?
Same thing, the other person can apply whenever he wants because he's able to accumulate 730 days in the five years after he became a permanent resident.
link