Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring Spouse - Work During Process? 

nomannasim
nomannasim

Posted On: 4/7/2015
nomannasim
nomannasim
To whom this may concern,

This is the first place I have asked the question and I'll try to be brief.

I am a citizen of Canada (born and raised in Pakistan) who is about to get married.

My spouse is also from Pakistan and I wanted her to join me as soon as we are married but during my research I have found that unfortunately the processing time for spousal sponsorship seems to be 36 months for Pakistan.

I have following questions related to the matter:

First, Is there any way to speed up the process?

Secondly, According to CIC website "eligible spouses have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for PR to be processed". If that's relevant, how long does that take?

Thank you for your help. I hope this inquiry made sense.

- N. N.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/8/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

To whom this may concern,

This is the first place I have asked the question and I'll try to be brief.

I am a citizen of Canada (born and raised in Pakistan) who is about to get married.

My spouse is also from Pakistan and I wanted her to join me as soon as we are married but during my research I have found that unfortunately the processing time for spousal sponsorship seems to be 36 months for Pakistan.

I have following questions related to the matter:

First, Is there any way to speed up the process?

Secondly, According to CIC website "eligible spouses have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for PR to be processed". If that's relevant, how long does that take?

Thank you for your help. I hope this inquiry made sense.

- N. N.

1. No, you can't speed up the application, but with a complete application, there won't be further delays.
2. You are quoting from the "in Canada" spousal application, as your spouse is not in Canada, you can't apply under that section.
3. Your spouse could apply for a visitor visa (TRV) but the success rate for spouses of Canadian residents is close to nil, as a TRV is for visitors and with a sponsorship, the intention is to remain permanently rather than visit.

PMM
link