Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring a Spouse - Questions About Residency 

ppatel487
ppatel487

Posted On: 4/11/2015
ppatel487
ppatel487
hello,

I am canadian citizen. I was born in india and acquired my citizenship around 2003/04. I landed in canada in 1999. (that is just basic background information about me).

December 2012, i got married to an indian man in India. my husband and I still have not filed a sponsorship for him, because he has some domestic responsiblites that he needs to fulfill - which might take another 3 to 5 years.

now, is it okay for me to file sponship for him after two years into our marriage? and Do i need to show any income support for him to sponsor him to canada? if he is granted visa, how many years are the visa valid till? and once he lands in canada, in how many days will get get his pr? i am fully aware of the pr requirment to fulfill, but i have also heard, that if he lives in another country with a canadian spouse, it is counted towards his days in canada, is that true?

Thank you.
link

Posted On: 4/15/2015
Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry. I understand that you have a lot of questions about sponsoring your spouse.

Generally, if you are eligible, you can sponsor a spouse from overseas no matter when you were married. You may find the following resources helpful:

How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?

Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

With regards to income requirements, sponsors must sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored and, if applicable, their dependent children

You can find out more about timelines and residency requirements here:

How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?

What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

==
Julia
Settlement.Org Team
link
lesley
lesley

Posted On: 4/23/2015
lesley
lesley
Hello, my name is Lesley,

I was born in Toronto Ontario, Canada in 1990. My mother is Mexican. She brought me to Mexico when I was 14 years old and i have been living here ever since.

The purpose behind this is to learn the proper procedure to return to Canada with my baby who is currently 1 year old and my fiance (father of my baby) with whom I´ve been with for over 3 years.

We have been taking the initiative of processing my baby´s paper work through the Canadian embassy here in Mexico city. However, my real concern is my fiance´s paperwork.

The website indicates that I need to prove that I am able to sponsor or maintain my fiance for a period of 3 years.

What I view as a problem is that I have not been in Canada for almost 11 years, I have always worked here in Mexico.

How and what would be the simplest and most expeditious way to carry on with this paperwork?

Lesley
link

Posted On: 4/27/2015
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

As you mentioned sponsors must sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of

the person being sponsored and, if applicable, their dependent children.

However, to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, the sponsor does not have to

meet a minimum income requirement. Nonetheless, the sponsor cannot be receiving social assistance

or be an undeclared bankrupt. You may also need to address in your application how your spouse will be

able to be supported. If your partner has children, the situation is different.

You can find information on eligibility in our Settlement.Org How do I

sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?

article.

You may also want to call the Citizenship and

Immigration Canada (CIC)
Call Centre for information specific to your situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any

follow up to your question/situation.

==

Julia

Settlement.Org Team
link