Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Can I Get EI if I'm Not a Permanent Resident Yet? 

Ciara
Ciara

Posted On: 4/23/2015
Ciara
Ciara
Hi there,

I have been working in Toronto on a work visa for 3 years - I'm currently applying for permanent residency although it'll be a while until that all comes through (prediction is 2 yrs). I am applying via common-law although me and my partner will only qualify by September this year.

I work freelance in film and have met the requirement of days etc. to be eligible for EI - all of my colleagues receive EI in between jobs so I know that film freelancers are definitely eligible.

The only question which I can't find an answer for anywhere is whether I am eligible if I'm not a permanent resident yet. I am considered a "deemed resident" for tax purposes, pay my Canadian taxes every year and I am deducted EI from my pay cheques, so surely I can receive EI - although I don't want to raise any red flags or potentially cause complications for my permanent residency application down the track.

If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-C.
link

Posted On: 4/24/2015
Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

Eligibility requirements for Employment Insurance do not depend on being a permanent resident. You must meet the same eligibility requirements as Canadian workers. The number of hours you have to work to be eligible for EI depends on where you live in Ontario. You can look up the hours you have to work on the Employment and Social Development Canada website using your postal code.

You can also find more information on EI in Settlement.Org’s articles Am I eligible for Employment Insurance (EI)? And How do I apply for Employment Insurance?

Because you are being sponsored by your common-law partner rather than as a principal applicant, your employment and income should not affect your PR application. You may want to contact the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre directly for some suggestions and information regarding your situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

==
Julia
Settlement.Org Team
link