Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

New Residency Requirements for Citizenship 

simplguy
simplguy

Posted On: 4/24/2015
simplguy
simplguy
Hello,

Background: Permanent Resident since 2008. Lived outside Canada for 2 years from 2009. Came back to Canada and been living since 2012. Citizenship application package completed and ready to be sent by April last week.

I have a question that has been bothering me since the last couple of days.

I am well over the residency requirements as per the older (existing rule) citizenship rule which is living in Canada 3 out of 4 years. I now have lived about 1150 days, completed the application for citizenship for me and my family, and ready to send it out.

What I am fearing is, do I fall into a crack where my application is received by CIC and then the new rule kicks in and I am in a limbo?

Basically, I guess what's bothering me is this: At one end of the scale, the timeline for the file to be created after receiving the application is about 3 months (I will be applying by April 27, 2015) and at the other end of the scale, expected time to set the new residency rule is around June 2015. So, does CIC consider the "date received"? or "date file created"? as the application to be put under the new rule bucket (happy!!) or old rule bucket (sigh!!!) as CIC deems appropriate?

So, am I unnecessarily worrying or should I really hurry up with my application, apply and hope for the best that I don't fall into the crack where they treat my application to be under the new rule?

Your information is much much appreciated.

Regards!!!
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/25/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

Background: Permanent Resident since 2008. Lived outside Canada for 2 years from 2009. Came back to Canada and been living since 2012. Citizenship application package completed and ready to be sent by April last week.

I have a question that has been bothering me since the last couple of days.

I am well over the residency requirements as per the older (existing rule) citizenship rule which is living in Canada 3 out of 4 years. I now have lived about 1150 days, completed the application for citizenship for me and my family, and ready to send it out.

What I am fearing is, do I fall into a crack where my application is received by CIC and then the new rule kicks in and I am in a limbo?

Basically, I guess what's bothering me is this: At one end of the scale, the timeline for the file to be created after receiving the application is about 3 months (I will be applying by April 27, 2015) and at the other end of the scale, expected time to set the new residency rule is around June 2015. So, does CIC consider the "date received"? or "date file created"? as the application to be put under the new rule bucket (happy!!) or old rule bucket (sigh!!!) as CIC deems appropriate?

So, am I unnecessarily worrying or should I really hurry up with my application, apply and hope for the best that I don't fall into the crack where they treat my application to be under the new rule?

Your information is much much appreciated.

Regards!!!

1. You are unnecessarily worrying, you citizenship application would be processed under the rules that are in effect on the day your application is received by CIC.
2. The proclamation date of the 4/6 years has not been announced as yet. My guess is July/1st.

PMM
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 4/25/2015
MelM
MelM
It's the date your application is physically received by CIC. This is the date that determines which rule you fall under (i.e. old or new).
link