Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Can sponsored spouse work upon arriving in Canada? 

Matti
Matti

Posted On: 5/1/2015
Matti
Matti
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen that has been living outside of Canada (Poland) for about 12 years and have gotten married and had a child (now 5 years old) in the meantime. My family and I would like to emigrate to Canada and I would like to sponsor my wife from outside of Canada, which I read is possible. However, I wanted to know if my wife can work upon arrival in Canada? I know that I must confirm that I can support them for some time but if my wife chooses to, can she go to work once we arrive in Canada?

Would be grateful for a reply as I cannot find this information anywhere.

Matthew
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 5/1/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen that has been living outside of Canada (Poland) for about 12 years and have gotten married and had a child (now 5 years old) in the meantime. My family and I would like to emigrate to Canada and I would like to sponsor my wife from outside of Canada, which I read is possible. However, I wanted to know if my wife can work upon arrival in Canada? I know that I must confirm that I can support them for some time but if my wife chooses to, can she go to work once we arrive in Canada?

Would be grateful for a reply as I cannot find this information anywhere.

Matthew

1. If she "lands" in Canada as a Permanent Resident, then she only have to go to Service Canada to get a SIN and she can start work immediately.

PMM
link