Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

More than 30 weeks Pregnancy when PR received 

bhabesh
bhabesh

Posted On: 7/29/2015
bhabesh
bhabesh
Hello,

Finally, we have got visa & PR letter 2 days ago. However, my wife is more than 30 weeks pregnant now. As we don't have enough time before the baby arrives, we are having hard time to decide whether we should move to Canada now or after the baby is born.

I have following questions regarding my situation:

1. If we move now, we will not have insurance covered before 3 months of arrival. So how hard it will be for me and my wife to give birth to a baby and to look after mother/baby in Canada.

2. If only I (Primary Applicant) go to Canada and apply for sponsorship of child, how much time will it take to get PR approval for the new born? Is it possible to get PR for the baby before the visa expiration of mother, so that they both can come together? The visa expiration time will be around 7 months after the birth of the baby.

3. What suggestions do you have for us? Should we give birth to the child in Canada or in the present country?

Hope I can make a good choice by getting your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bhabesh
link

Posted On: 7/31/2015
Dear Bhabesh,

Thank you for your questions and for sharing your situation with us. Deciding when you move to Canada when your wife is pregnant is a big decision.

As you mentioned, there is a 3 month residency requirement to be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Therefore, if you come to Ontario at a time when your wife needs to give birth, your family may not have full medical coverage.

You can find information on giving birth without OHIP in the article: I am pregnant and don't have OHIP. What health care can I get?

You can also find information on midwife services in the article: How much does it cost to get care from a midwife?

You may also want to read about other people’s experiences giving birth in Ontario without OHIP in the discussion forum thread: Giving Birth in Ontario - How much does it cost?

The immigration status of your child will depend on several factors, including whether or not they are born in Canada. Generally, children born in Canada are Canadian citizens . We would recommend calling the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre to get information specific to your situation.

It is also important to keep CIC updated with any changes to your family situation.

Information on sponsorship can be found in the article How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada? and wait time information for CIC applications can be found on the CIC website.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

We wish you the best of luck with your decision and with the arrival of your child.

===
Julia
Settlement.Org team
link