Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Very Old Elevators 

jane151
jane151

Posted On: 8/19/2015
jane151
jane151
Hello all. I live in a very old building in KW.
The building is 40 - 50 years old.
The elevators ( 2) are small dark and have no ventilation. They are very hot in the summer months.
If anybody got stuck it would be terrible because of course nobody likes to be stuck but there is no air movement. No fans. Nothing.
The elevators are the same as they were when apartments were built.
I believe this is a breach of safety and I have no idea who to contact.
Any advice appreciated.
Jane
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 8/20/2015
MelM
MelM
The first person you should contact to express your concerns is the property manager.

If you want to take this issue further after speaking with your property manager, I would recommend you read through the Questions and Answers on the TSSA web site (the TSSA is responsible for elevator safety regulations).

https://www.tssa.org/regulated/elevating/generalSafetyQuestons.aspx

Note that it is entirely possible the elevators are completely safe even though they are older. Ontario has many buildings with old elevators that function perfectly. You may also want to look inside of the elevator to see if there is a notice posted regarding when the elevator was last inspected. If the last inspection was recent, then the TSSA has confirmed the elevator is safe for use.
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 8/20/2015
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,
the easiest way to find out if this is a breach of safety or just an inconvenience is to check the elevator licence. If the elevator is licenced, it is considered safe.
Here's an excerpt from the
Technical Standards & Safety Authority
Q : There is no license posted in my elevator? Is the elevator unsafe?
A : The elevating device regulation requires the licence to be posted inside the elevator, however there are permissions to post licences in remote locations if permitted by the Director. There are a few reasons why the licence may not be posted; the owner may have requested to post it in a remote location for esthetics or to avoid vandalism, the superintendent or property manager has failed to post the current licence, or the elevating device does not have a valid licence. If you would like to inquire on the status of an elevator licence, you can contact:
Customer Services
Tel: 1-877-682-TSSA (8772)
Email: [email protected]
I hope this helps.
link