Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Can my American Nephew go to School in Windsor? 

Marcc
Marcc

Posted On: 9/30/2015
Marcc
Marcc
My brother a Canadian Citizen passed away, leaving behind a son who was born and lives in the US. Recently at the end of his summer visit to my home in Windsor, Ontario his mother got into a serious car accident. Now I want to get him into school while we wait for her recovery to send him back home. My family and I are Canadian Citizen.

I have checked with some one who works within a school and was told it would cost $12,000 dollars to send him to school. Looked at similar questions in this forum.

Since his dad was Canadian Citizen how difficult to sponsor him. He is 16 years old.

link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/1/2015
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately it's unlikely you can sponsor your nephew yourself. However he may in fact be a Canadian citizen by birth. Was his father (your brother) a Canadian citizen when he was born? If so, did his father obtain his citizenship status by being born in Canada or through naturalizing (i.e. immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident and then becoming a citizen). If so, your nephew just needs to apply for proof of citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp Once the application is approved (this will take a number of months), he will be regarded as a Canadian and will be able to attend school without paying foreign student fees.
link