Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Required to Enter Together? and Goods to Follow 

ytala1986
ytala1986

Posted On: 11/30/2015
ytala1986
ytala1986
my wife is traveling from india to toronto, canada. i am in usa. we applied PR based of my wife so she is primary member. now we have to enter in Canada next march and planing to join with my wife from usa connecting flight.

my first question is does my wife required us visa for just connecting flight? i read some 3 year old post says us visa required for connecting flight but anyone have any recent experience or any idea?? i am on f1 visa in usa.

second question : is that mandatory that we have to enter in Canada together?? or we can enter separately?? for example my wife through fly and i can by road or fly latter???

third question : can i bring my luggage by road from usa to Canada by car or u-haul? i have lots luggage so no idea if custom give any hard time or not???
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 12/1/2015
MelM
MelM
Yes - your wife needs a US visa.

No - you don't have to enter Canada together. If you enter separately, your wife must enter first.

You can bring your luggage into Canada however you want to.
link
ytala1986
ytala1986

ytala1986
ytala1986
Thanks, it's help me lot.

Thanks
link
ytala1986
ytala1986

ytala1986
ytala1986
Hi, thanks for your answer. i am still looking some more detailed answer. are you sure we can enter in canada first time separately??? we applied PR together and we did medical together and have same PR expiration date. my understanding is that i think we have to mention during PR process if we wanted to enter separately in canada. i am asking only to avoid my india trip because i can not join connecting flight with my spouse because of she don't have usa visa. so i am planing to take after some time flight from usa and she fly from india and plan to join canada in few hours. if you have seen this before then please provide with some example, so it will be great help to me and i can make decision based on your answer. thanks advance for your help.
link
ytala1986
ytala1986

Posted On: 12/4/2015
ytala1986
ytala1986
any idea, how long my wife has to land first? we are planing just for few hour different.
for example : we buying the air ticket like my spouse will land 1 hour before i land, should it be ok? or there should be few hours of days difference for landing separately???

Yes - your wife needs a US visa.

No - you don't have to enter Canada together. If you enter separately, your wife must enter first.

You can bring your luggage into Canada however you want to.
link