Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

Study Permits for Refugee Claimants 

brian5000
brian5000

Posted On: 1/20/2010
brian5000
brian5000
Hi all,

I have a student who has applied to university for September. They are currently a refugee claimant, but are worried that their application will be denied. If it is denied, they will be filing an appeal.

If someone is a refugee claimant, I know they are not eligible for OSAP. However, if they are currently in Canada as a refugee claimant, can they apply for a student visa (even though they will not be able to show they can pay for the tuition)? Can a student visa lead to a SIN card?

Long story short - is there any way for a refugee claimant who is not financially independant to get a SIN card so that they can apply for OSAP?

Thanks,

Brian
link
ella098
ella098

Posted On: 10/5/2015
ella098
ella098
If Protected person’s Work Permit is expired and he applied for OSAP at the same time but denied because his SIN is not valid.
How he can get his Work Permit in less than 3 month or there is possibilities to explain to OSAP the situation?

Thanks
link
ella098
ella098

Posted On: 10/5/2015
ella098
ella098
Unfortunately he can’t get the OSAP until get his Protected Person paper, and that paper will issued after the Court hearing( if Hearing passed then no worries Protected Person Paper will issued fast).And then you can apply for OSAP.

I think i gave more easy explanation than above, MODERATOR gave the example from the site where the language is written in very difficult way.
link