Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Can my friend sponsor fiance on OW or ODSP? 

user
user

Posted On: 10/13/2011
user
user
My friend is a Canadian and recently got divorced.

They have custody of 3 dependant kids is on OW and applied for ODSP but they are willing to go to school in a wheel-chair all the time.

They wish to sponsor their spouse in Asia and nervous to ask case worker
If eligible to sponsor.

They have not yet married.

Please advise thanks
link
TplusCC
TplusCC

Posted On: 7/1/2014
TplusCC
TplusCC
I need some clarification if possible. I'm a sponsor who has just been approved and the application is now on the way to the embassy. I have a severe form of heart disease and was an ODSP recipient for almost a decade. I went off ODSP to take advantage of an educational opportunity, where I was forced to give up my pension. I recently re-applied and was denied. I'm a mother of a two year old and desperately need an income. I have been surviving in the Child tax benefit and was expecting ODSP to kick in. So now I am forced to seek out OW but I'm not sure what will happen to my application. According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations I should be able to apply once my husband is here, while he's looking for work. Here is the quote. Does anyone know anything about this?
133. (1) A sponsorship application shall only be approved by an officer if, on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application, there is evidence that the sponsor
(k) is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-57.html#docCont
It looks to me like I can apply for OW once my application is approved on the embassy end. As in there is no regulation stopping me from seeking OW after that time.
Feedback appreciated.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/2/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

I need some clarification if possible. I'm a sponsor who has just been approved and the application is now on the way to the embassy. I have a severe form of heart disease and was an ODSP recipient for almost a decade. I went off ODSP to take advantage of an educational opportunity, where I was forced to give up my pension. I recently re-applied and was denied. I'm a mother of a two year old and desperately need an income. I have been surviving in the Child tax benefit and was expecting ODSP to kick in. So now I am forced to seek out OW but I'm not sure what will happen to my application. According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations I should be able to apply once my husband is here, while he's looking for work. Here is the quote. Does anyone know anything about this?
133. (1) A sponsorship application shall only be approved by an officer if, on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application, there is evidence that the sponsor
(k) is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-57.html#docCont
It looks to me like I can apply for OW once my application is approved on the embassy end. As in there is no regulation stopping me from seeking OW after that time.
Feedback appreciated.

1. Actually until your spouse has actually "landed", if you go on OW, then CIC can refuse the application.

PMM
link