Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Travelling before the PR card arrives 

Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 7/6/2012
Klaus
Klaus
Hi all,

after being accepted as a permanent resident, I'll move to Canada by the end of August.

Luckily I don't have to find a job as I will be working for my current employer.

My job is to carry out installations and repairs of highly specialized machines worldwide.

Obviously this is not an office job, so my employer doesn't really care where I live.

Now I have read that leaving Canada before the PR card is issued might be a problem. Well actually re-entering the country is the problem.

As I usually need to leave on a rather short notice, sometimes even the next day, I can't possibly apply for travel documents beforehand.

Is there a solution to this problem? I'm pretty sure my employer wouldn't be very happy if I told him that I can't do my work for roughly 2 months (processing time plus the time it takes to find a home).

I was wondering if I can simply re-enter Canada without a travel document since I don't need a visa anyway (I am a German citizen).

Or is it possible to speed up the processing time for the PR card?

I'm not asking for a special treatment here, but not being able to travel for such a long time is a huge problem for me.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
link
eyilmaz324
eyilmaz324

Posted On: 5/14/2014
eyilmaz324
eyilmaz324
Hi, my mom is currently a permanent resident in Canada. Her PR card expired last month, we renewed it, but due some misunderstanding of our address, the card was sent back to the office and we were told it might take 6 weeks for it to arrive. But the thing is, my mom booked a flight to Turkey in just less than a month. Will she be able to leave Canada without her PR card? Btw, she will be switching airplanes in Montreal and Munich. Will there be any problems?
link
ssara_e
ssara_e

Posted On: 6/17/2014
ssara_e
ssara_e
Hi, I am a new immigrant to Canada with my husband and my daughter and we haven't received our PR card yet.But now I have a serious problem in my country and I have to go back there for about two month,but my husband and daughter stay here until they get our PR and they will be back,so:
is there any problem with this situation that I go back and my family bring my PR and then we come back here to Canada?
I'm really looking forward to hearing from you soon cause I want to make the decision.
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 6/17/2014
Klaus
Klaus

Hi, I am a new immigrant to Canada with my husband and my daughter and we haven't received our PR card yet.But now I have a serious problem in my country and I have to go back there for about two month,but my husband and daughter stay here until they get our PR and they will be back,so:
is there any problem with this situation that I go back and my family bring my PR and then we come back here to Canada?
I'm really looking forward to hearing from you soon cause I want to make the decision.

Hi,

that's no problem unless you stay away for too long. As a permanent resident, you need to be in Canada for two years in each five-year period.

Klaus
link
s_t8
s_t8

Posted On: 7/30/2015
s_t8
s_t8
Hi,
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and I'm a citizen of a visa exempt country. My PR card expired recently, so I renewed it a few months ago, but it still hasn't arrived. I'm leaving Canada to Thailand very soon and I know that I would need to have a travel document to come back. However, I wont be in Thailand long enough to wait for the travel document to arrive in time. So I plan to take all my documents with me including my landing document and my expired PR card. Do you think I will have problem coming back from Thailand? Please help!
link