Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Landing Issue: Bringing Car from the US to Canada 

GREAKLY
GREAKLY

Posted On: 8/19/2012
GREAKLY
GREAKLY
I have been Canadian PR for the last few years. Recently I went to my home country, got married and plan to bring my new wife to Canada ASAP. It is my understanding that as a new immigrant (once she gets her PR documents) she is allowed to bring her possessions to Canada tax- and duty-free. That includes a car.

I have been thinking of using this occasion (her coming to Canada) for buying a new car in the US, where vehicles tend to cost at least a few thousand dollars cheaper than in Canada (not to mention GST and PST). So, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a minimum time ownership requirement (say, 3 or 6 months) before the newcomer could bring the car to Canada tax-free? I mean, can she fly from her home country to the US, buy a vehicle there and do the landing next day through the "land" border in a brand-new car?

2. Is there a requirement that the vehicle must have been registered (license plates and etc.) in the new immigrant's name in the country of her previous residence before it could be brought to Canada? In other words, could the vehicle be driven into Canada with temporary (US dealer) license plates or those would have to be permanent ones, possibly from her home country?

3. US dealer's plates tend to expire in a few weeks. From what I remember (I brought my car to Canada from the US a few years ago when I landed myself) the "importation" process (getting recall letter, exchanging the paperwork with the RIV, doing modifications and etc.) might take a bit longer. How can I/we drive the car around during that period? I mean, what shall I do during the time when dealer's plates expire and permanent plates are not yet available? Is there any way to get temporary plates from Canadian customs or at the local DMV office? Is there any way to get some sort of insurance while driving on temporary plates?

4. Once the car gets registered in my wife's name in Canada is there some time limit during which she can't sell it (because it was brought to the country tax-free)? Not that we plan to do that, but we plan to transfer the formal ownership of the car from her name to mine for insurance purposes.

Thank you in advance for your help.
link
fida2000bd
fida2000bd

Posted On: 5/16/2015
fida2000bd
fida2000bd
Dear All,

We are (family of 4) planning to 'land' in Canada from USA in July 2015. In fact, we are going to USA for two weeks to visit some friends first and from USA we will go to Canada for landing. We will carry a number of luggage, as such it makes good sense if we could rent a car from USA and drive to Toronto. I have few queries:

1) Will the car from rental company be considered as a 'commercial vehicle' and be allowed to drive in Canada for landing purpose?

2) We will drive from Boston. What is the suggested border crossing? We will go to Toronto.

Many thanks.

Rana
link