Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP under Implied Status - Questions 

advise_seeker
advise_seeker

Posted On: 2/13/2013
advise_seeker
advise_seeker
I am a temporary foreign worker, working since March 2010. Currently , I am on implied status, as such, my spouse.

My situation is as follows;

LMO filed on January 30 2013 followed by work permit extension on February 1 2013.

My OHIP expired on 2nd Feb 2013 as per Work Permit expiry date.

My spouse is pregnant and the expected delivery date is April 2, 2013.

Current processing times for work permit extensions are approximately 90 days, as such, there will be no coverage during this period.

Is a way to get a temporay OHIP during implied status through an appeal process to OHIP Eligibility Review Committee with supporting documents?

(Supporting documents such as a postive LMO, employmnet document etc along with a CIC consent from IMM5475E to authorize Ministry of health officer to contact CIC and obtain necessary proof of work permit application submission.)

I am aware that once OHIP coverage will be reinstated, medical expeneses could be reimbursed.

However, the hospital charges is unpredictable and it would go beyond OHIP charges.

I may not get all expenses incurred, it may go for many paper works and long wait time etc.

Appriciate your time and help on this.
link
Chialing
Chialing

Posted On: 5/6/2015
Chialing
Chialing

Finally, my work permit and spouse visitor record were approved and issued by end of June, approximately 5 months it took. We were also approved for continuous coverage along with retroactive coverage since work permit has a remark "TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6)."

We had opted for private insurance that covered 50% expenses and remaining were covered by OHIP. Interestingly, hospital hold off remaining bills until new OHIP reinstated.

If we could assure hospital physicians and or administrative dept. that OHIP is on way with rectroactive coverage they might agree. There is no need for go through many paper works for OHIP reimbursement.

I and my husband meet the some problem, and I think this problem is quite common for temporary foreign workers...

Our work permit renewal are under processing, and it seems not possible to be done before our OHIP expiring date, this June. I am going to labor in mid July. We should probably pay the fee by ourselves first.

I'd like to know if we want to reimburse our OHIP coverage after our OHIP renewal, what documents we should have? And could you tell me how to go through the reimbursement procedure?

Thank you for your kindly reply in advance!
link
martyw
martyw

Posted On: 1/28/2022
martyw
martyw
i'm going to be 72...my red stripe ohip card has not been converted...i've been scouring our home for documents needed...came to canada as a child in 1953...achieved citizenship status in 1958....have been listed as canadian citizen on income tax form for decades...have had a social insurance number since age of 16 i think...is my word sufficient to switch the card type ?
link

Posted On: 2/28/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, and sharing your question with us.

The provincial government has given options to renew your health card online. And there is an option to renew both your OHIP and Driver’s Licence at the same time. You can also book an appointment online so you don't have to wait in long lines at the Service Ontario location of your choice. If you do not want to book online, it is advised to call ahead to ensure the location is open and learn about any restrictions that may be in place.

However, if you need a new photo you will need to visit a ServiceOntario centre. You will likely need to get your photo taken if:

• you are replacing your red and white health card
  • your photo is 10 years or older
  • you are turning 16 years old
  • you are renewing in-person
  • you are making a change to your name
  • you received a notice in the mail from ServiceOntario to a Service Ontario location.

If you or someone you know is over the age of 80 there are other options for renewing your documents

If you cannot visit a ServiceOntario centre for a medical reason, you must have a physician or nurse practitioner fill out a Health Card Medical Exemption Request form.

If you would like to submit your feedback about the online process you can submit any comments or concerns through this provincial page.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to post them to the discussion forum here.

Sincerely,
Your Settlement.Org Team
link