Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Application & Withdrawn Assault Charge 

nvarma
nvarma

Posted On: 11/19/2013
nvarma
nvarma
Back in October 2008, I was charged with assault. At the police station, I was fingerprinted. Thankfully, the charge was later withdrawn under a 3-month peace bond. The peace bond period passed and I moved on with my life. I neglected sending an application to have my fingerprint records removed. I do not have any criminal record or conviction.

Earlier this year, I applied for citizenship. I fully meet the residency requirements with my employment records and period of residency. However, CIC has asked that I submit my fingerprints for them to check my records. I'm guessing that since I was fingerprinted, there may be a "record" against my name and it might have come up.

I'm fearful that my earlier fingerprint records may somehow go against my citizenship application, even though the charge against me was withdrawn. Has anyone else been in this situation? Please advise on the best course of action.

Many thanks in advance!
link
rajkl
rajkl

Posted On: 9/22/2014
rajkl
rajkl
Hello there,

I am in similar situation except I am currently under a peace bond (for domestic assault) till mid next year. I wish to apply for citizenship now but am afraid if having the peace bond will affect my application. What is your advice/ experience?

many thanks,

Back in October 2008, I was charged with assault. At the police station, I was fingerprinted. Thankfully, the charge was later withdrawn under a 3-month peace bond. The peace bond period passed and I moved on with my life. I neglected sending an application to have my fingerprint records removed. I do not have any criminal record or conviction.

Earlier this year, I applied for citizenship. I fully meet the residency requirements with my employment records and period of residency. However, CIC has asked that I submit my fingerprints for them to check my records. I'm guessing that since I was fingerprinted, there may be a "record" against my name and it might have come up.

I'm fearful that my earlier fingerprint records may somehow go against my citizenship application, even though the charge against me was withdrawn. Has anyone else been in this situation? Please advise on the best course of action.

Many thanks in advance!
link