Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Can PR be Fast-Tracked to get OHIP? 

Brai
Brai

Posted On: 5/7/2014
Brai
Brai
Hello

Its nice to have found this forum...

I have a question and would like some possibly options or insights.

So here is the situation....
Me: Canadian Citizen and have a job
Her:
- German Citizen
- She was a student and had a student Visa then later had a work permit Visa after she graduated. But her contract ended at the end of last year, she had OHIP but it expired with the work Visa.
- She applied for a PR early last year and they "received" it on Aug 2013. Haven't really heard anything yet
- Now she moved back to Germany early 2014 for a job.
- She lived in Canada for about 5 yrs

We called OHIP and she will not be covered even though I'm Canadian.

So she got pregnant around mid Dec 2013. We found out when she went back to Germany. So she will be due around Sept 2014.

We are not married or common law.

The reason why I/we want the baby to be born in Canada is to have both our last names, this is not possible in Germany the child will automatically have the moms last name, to add my last name is expensive and lots of work.

If the child is born in Canada the last name can be hyphenated.

This will just make things a lot easier down the road like travel and other paper work.

I have gathered already some basic info and read some info here as well.

Does anyone know if the PR can be fast tracked so she can get her OHIP?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 5/7/2014
MelM
MelM
No - PR cannot be fast tracked to get OHIP.

You should also keep in mind that once her PR visa is approved and she "lands" in Canada and officially becomes a PR - there will still be an additional three month waiting period before she will qualify for OHIP.

The baby can still be born in Canada without OHIP. However you will have to pay for all of the expenses associated with the pregnancy and delivery.
link