Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Time taken for PR Card 

ImmigrantNew
ImmigrantNew

Posted On: 5/24/2014
ImmigrantNew
ImmigrantNew
Hi:

We landed in Canada in early April and were able to provide Service Canada with the address within 2 days. At that time,
the web site indicated that it is taking 76 days to issue the PR Card. Now the website indicates 85 days. Should we expect our PR Cards in 76 days or 85 days from the submission of the address

The second issue is that we had to leave the country to wrap up and let the kids finish their terms. In this process we have arranged to end our residency in Dubai as well and the family will be in home country for a month before movinng to Canada. In case the PR Cards are delayed further, will the family be able to apply for PRTD from the home country when their immigration visas were stamped in Dubai

Thanks in advance for your response
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/24/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

the processing times only show the time it took visa offices to approve or refuse 80 percent of applications during a specified period in the past. They may not accurately predict future processing times.

As you already landed, you are now considered a Permanent Resident. The lack of a PR card doesn't matter in terms of your status in Canada. Therefore you and your family can and should apply for a travel document in order to get back to Canada. This can be done at the visa office in Abu Dhabi. The application process is described here.

Another option is to have someone mail the cards to you once they arrive at your new address in Canada, however this is always a bit risky as they might get lost in the mail. It's up to you if you want to take the risk.

Good luck!
Klaus
link
ImmigrantNew
ImmigrantNew

Posted On: 5/31/2014
ImmigrantNew
ImmigrantNew
Klaus:

Thanks a lot for your quick response. We were about to apply for PRTD when someone told us that there is a risk of the embassy refusing to issue these. Further in case the PRTD is refused the PR Card itself may be cancelled. We find it a bit hard to believe as we have a very genuine case where we had to go back to wrap up and let our kids finish their school year. further, we have proof tht we have already rented a proper townhouse in Canada, taken appointment for assessment for schools for our kids etc. Are there any chances of PRTD being refused

Regards
link
Klaus
Klaus

Klaus
Klaus
It can be refused if you don't provide the documents they ask for. Otherwise I don't see why getting a travel document would be a problem. People do that all the time and as you said, you have a genuine case here and you have PR status.
Based on what you wrote there is no reason for them to refuse you a travel document as long as you submit a complete application.

Klaus
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Klaus:

Thanks a lot for your quick response. We were about to apply for PRTD when someone told us that there is a risk of the embassy refusing to issue these. Further in case the PRTD is refused the PR Card itself may be cancelled. We find it a bit hard to believe as we have a very genuine case where we had to go back to wrap up and let our kids finish their school year. further, we have proof tht we have already rented a proper townhouse in Canada, taken appointment for assessment for schools for our kids etc. Are there any chances of PRTD being refused

Regards

1. You really shouldn't listen to "somebody", www.cic.gc.ca is the official source.
2. Your PRTD won't be refused, as long as you are able to meet the 2 year residency in every 5 year period.
3. You have 5 years from your date of "landing" to remain in Canada for 2 years.

PMM
link
kayaniha
kayaniha

kayaniha
kayaniha
Hi,

I have the same issue also because I might need to go to settle few things. I need to apply PRTD. So, I need to know that for how much period is valid PRTD and how much time it takes?

thanks

Haris
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 6/1/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi,

I have the same issue also because I might need to go to settle few things. I need to apply PRTD. So, I need to know that for how much period is valid PRTD and how much time it takes?

thanks

Haris

Check the web site for the office overseas where you will be applying. The processing times are there.

PMM
link