Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Spousal Sponsorship and Credit Card Debt 

raman88
raman88

Posted On: 5/24/2014
raman88
raman88
I have visa card loan 12000$ iam paying regular my question is that am I need to pay off my loan before sponsor my wife or no need to declare about it

My visa card credit 12000$ I am paying ragulary now I want to sponsor my wife am I need to declare about this in my file
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 5/25/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you may want to take a look at the articles Sponsor your spouse, partner or children and Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your spouse, partner or children.

Generally spoken, yes, you can sponsor a spouse even if you have a loan, but there are some more restrictions that may apply. For example, if a spouse or partner sponsored you, you now cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident.
It's difficult to give you a definite answer without knowing more about your background. The loan will not keep you from sponsoring your wife, but other factors might.

Klaus
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 5/25/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

I have visa card loan 12000$ iam paying regular my question is that am I need to pay off my loan before sponsor my wife or no need to declare about it

My visa card credit 12000$ I am paying ragulary now I want to sponsor my wife am I need to declare about this in my file

NO, it doesn't have to be declared and is no bar to sponsorship.

PMM
link