Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Still Require a Criminal & Medical Check?-Sponsor 

susanneCar
susanneCar

Posted On: 6/23/2014
susanneCar
susanneCar
Good afternoon,

I am trying to sponsor my boyfriend. I was wondering for the sponsorship application does he still need a criminal check and medical check if they already had one when he applied for student visa and was approved.

I have checked the cic website with no avail and tried calling cic, but waited for 45mins still no agent would pick up the phone.

Thanks in advance!
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 6/23/2014
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

the Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada states:
What will the person I want to sponsor have to do?

The person you want to sponsor (and their family members if applicable) will have to:
•sign the Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344), except if Quebec will be the province of residence,
•complete the forms included with The Immigrant’s Guide (IMM 3999) and provide appropriate documentation in support of their application,
•undergo a medical examination prior to submitting the application (results are valid for 12 months),
•pass criminal and security verifications,
•obtain a passport and, in some countries, an exit visa
•attend an interview at a Canadian visa office, if required.

So he will have to have another medical examination.

I also found How to get a police certificate (police check) which states:
What is a police certificate?

A police certificate is a copy of your criminal record or a statement that you do not have a criminal record.
[blah, blah]
The certificate must be issued no more than three months before you apply.

So he'll need that one as well.

Good luck!
Klaus
link