Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Pregnant and Looking for Health Insurance 

Niune84
Niune84

Posted On: 6/25/2014
Niune84
Niune84
Hi

I got married with a Canadian guy 10 months ago and I have a visitor permit for one year I applied for my PR and I suppose to have it between October and December 2014 but the thing is I might be pregnant since 2 weeks and I don't have an insurance policy cz wasn't planning for it before I get my PR but it happened .

and it will be my first baby .

My question is :

is there anyway that I can have an insurance policy that covers my doctor check ups and all what a pregnant women need before she gives birth ,it means am looking for a short period insurance policy for 6-9 months till I get my PR and apply for the Medicare insurance

If you can help me with this I will be very happy and satisfied

Thank u
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 6/26/2014
MelM
MelM
Most private health insurance policies do not cover any pregnancy related costs since this is classified as a pre-existing condition. The only policies I'm aware of that do cover pregnancy related costs are very expensive and also carry the condition that you cannot become pregnant within the first 10 months of having that insurance policy. So since you are already pregnant, you unfortunately wouldn't qualify for these policies. Keep in mind that insurance companies are in the business of making money. So if you do manage to find a policy that covers you, that policy will cost you more than if you just paid for the doctor visits yourself.
link