Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Working outside Canada for a Canadian Company 

ikulen
ikulen

Posted On: 7/18/2014
ikulen
ikulen
Hi, I (permanent resident, residing in Toronto, ON) applied in June 2014 for sponsoring my wife with my kids.

This week I am on the final stage to be hired by Canada Red Cross for contractual work in Africa for 6 months.

The question is: if I work for Canadian organization/canadian payroll, have home in Canada, kids (from first marriage) and so on: would it be considered as a waiver?

Or I have to inform CIC and request them to suspend my application until I'll be back and re-start processing? Thank you so much.

Ulan
link
Mkhan
Mkhan

Posted On: 7/18/2014
Mkhan
Mkhan
Well, officially the time spend outside Canada with a Canadian company should be considered however, it is not happening actually. I have been deployed like you to represent Canada in the United Nations and although I submitted the official letters from the Government offices indicating my deployment however, unfortunately, it has not been considered.

Also being on CRC assignment, you will notice that the Canadian embassy will not be able to support you in case of emergency or security issue. I am in a conflict zone and tried to approach Canadian embassy however, despite of the fact that I am representing Government of Canada, I could not register but thanks to my Country embassy who helped me and according to them being without Canadian passport even if you think you are Canadian you are not.

Having said this, try to contact CIC with the letter from CRC, they should consider it as you are officially/legally allowed to do this and there is no need to suspend your application. My case may be different as there may be other background they might consider that I don't know but you go ahead you have all the privileges according to CIC explanation on their website.
link