Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeServices for Specific Groups

Child, Youth and Family, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered, People with Disabilities, Seniors, Women...

Eligible for retroactive Child Tax Benefits? 

Shamoy
Shamoy

Posted On: 7/18/2014
Shamoy
Shamoy
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen by birth in 1998 (I was born in Canada). My parents were refugee claimants at that time. From the Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds, my parents were granted permanent residence in the year of 2006. During this period, my parents were given work permits and they were working and paying taxes. We were a low income family and we still are. Since being born in 1998, my family did not recieve any child tax benefits from 1998 to 2005 (we've been living here ever since). On top of that, my brother was born as a Canadian citizen in Canada in 2000. He also missed his child tax benefits from 2000 to 2006. Everyone in our family is now Canadian citizens. So now I would like to know whether if Canadian law granted rights to families in our situation from 1998 to 2006 to receive child tax benefits? If so, is there any possibility of requesting to recover missing retro child tax benefits?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 7/18/2014
MelM
MelM
You can receive up to 11 months of retroactive payments from the time you apply:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/universal_child_care.shtml

So the most you'll be able to recover is 11 months of payments.
link