Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card Stolen and PR card Replacement 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 8/2/2014
Posts: 1
Hi all,

I am currently a PR whose citizenship is in progress.

I was planning to go to Taiwan and the flight was originally on July 31st, 2014.

However, right before my flight, my car's window got smashed and my bag got stolen.

In the bag, there are my passport (issued from 2009), my PR card (issued from 2013), and some other personal things.

I had already reported this to Vancouver police, and they had given me a file number (this is the only thing I received from reporting).

I also had reported this issue to CIC.

I understand that without the PR card, I could not leave the country.

Nonetheless, since I am having an emergency that I have to leave the country, I have to have the PR card.

The problem is, if I just follow the regular way to apply, I will not be able to successfully get the renewed PR card.

The reason is, as mentioned, I lost my Taiwan passport that was issued since 2009, and all the stamps that CIC needs to see to prove my residency are in that passport.

Therefore, I want to ask what can I do for now.

Another reason is "time", my next semester is going to start by September 2nd, 2014, which means I have to be in Canada by that time.

The information that I can provide to prove my residency are following:
1. Since I am a student who is studying in a university in Vancouver, I can provide all my enrollment records, academic reports, and student card.
2. I have the proof of taxation (notice of assessment) from 2008 (the first year of being Canadian resident), to 2013.
3. Entry-Exit Records of Movement from Taiwan (in transit by Fedex Express).
4. The document shows that Ive already report this issue.

In addition to the proof of residency, I had just passed my citizenship test and had been interviewed by a citizenship officer, in Vancouver citizenship office. She had verified most of the travel history records. For the part that she couldn't verify, she requests me to provide the entry-exit records movement from 2009/12/06 to 2013/12/06.

This document is currently in transit.

However, the officer told me that, after she had received the document and verified the history, she will keep processing the document and then inform me the time of Oath of citizenship of Canada.

I am pretty much stuck, and I do not know what I can do...

Please advice.
Posts: 4049

Posted On: 8/5/2014
Posts: 4049

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this. We are sorry that you have experienced this.

In the past we have asked this question to CIC. According to a CIC representative, it could cause processing delays if you are unable to provide your old passport (showing entry & exits ). This is because they will have to verify whether you have met the residency requirements in another way.

The representative advised that you include strong supporting documentation when you submit your PR Card renewal application, to prove your physical presence in Canada during this time period.

In addition to what you have suggested, you could also include pay stubs, bank statements, utility bills, credit card bills (they are interested in where you made purchases, not what you bought), cell phone bills, etc.

In terms of leaving Canada before being able to renew your PR card, you can find some information in our our Settlement.Org Do I really need a PR card to travel back to Canada? article.

You can also find some detailed information on the CIC Website.

Here is an excerpt,

If you plan to return in a commercial vehicle, like a plane or bus

If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle — such as a plane, train, boat or bus — you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada.

You should also check with the commercial operator (for example, the airline or bus company you will be using) to see what documents they need.

If you return in a private vehicle, like your own car

If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, you do not need a PR card. You can use your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) instead.

You would have been given these documents:

-if you applied from overseas: at the same time as your visa, or
-if you applied from within Canada at your local visa office when you landed.

An officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the residency requirements before they allow you to come back to Canada.

If you would like more information on your specific situation, you may want to contact the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre directly.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS