Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Divorce in India or Canada 

sadfromdelhi
sadfromdelhi

Posted On: 8/4/2014
sadfromdelhi
sadfromdelhi
Hello All,

Let me explain my situation first.

I am married for 9 years and I have 7 year old son. We all live in Canada from last two year on work visa. Recently we have got PR and I have activated my PR by landing, landing is still pending for my wife and son. They are currently in India.

I have trouble going on with my wife from last one year and she ( who is not currently working) want to stay away from me but in Canada with my son. Right now she is doing some courses in India and planning to come later ( 2-3 months) get settle of her own and then divorce me . She will be sending my son with me now as he will be missing his schools.
Now my questions
1. Can I stop her coming to Canada as my dependent ?
2. Can I file divorce in India and send documentation to CIC specifying that I am no longer sponsoring her ?
3. If I file divorce in India can she still come and ask for spousal support in Canada?
4. Can I file divorce in India after landing back with my son only ?

I don't want her to come to Canada and just file divorce and life happily on my hard earned money.

link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 8/5/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

1. No, as she as her COPR, and she was not a sponsored spouse.
2. Don't know enough Indian law.
3. Yes.
4. She may have something to say about that, if you don't have sole custody of your son.
5. Too complicated for a forum, hire a family lawyer.

PMM
link