Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Unsure about my PR status 

Meet1982
Meet1982

Posted On: 8/10/2014
Meet1982
Meet1982
Hi

I got my PR card in May 2009, which expired in June 2014. I was traumatised because of certain incident in my life and had to return back to my parents residing outside Canada and couldn't come back till I recovered full which took me more than time required to keep my status.
During the dates stated on my card I am short of 50 days.
But if I include my stay till date I have completed more than 730 days

My question is does those 2 years have to be in the years on the card or they take into considerations the days after that too.

Thank you

Also the trauma was because of my bf mistreating me and misleading me and being from orthodox country and society I couldn't file any complaint against him as my parents said it would only cause problem for me the way society is.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 8/11/2014
MelM
MelM
When you apply to renew your PR card, CIC will look back at the five years immediately preceeding your application date to determine if you meet the residency requirement. This means that on the day you apply to renew your PR card, you must have at least 730 days of residency in Canada in the previous five years.
link
muni0330
muni0330

Posted On: 8/13/2014
muni0330
muni0330
Hi there i have a similar question. My PR card expires in August 2014 and i got it in July 2009. However i have no done my 730 days i have probably done maybe just one year.
I am currently in BC and i am not sure if i should apply for renewal as it is expired now this month. If not, how long do i wait to apply for renewal? do i finish the remaining one year to make 730 days and then apply?
I hope you can help.

maria
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 8/13/2014
MelM
MelM
Don't apply to renew your PR card until you have at least 730 residency days in Canada in the last five years before you apply for a new card. If you apply before you have the 730 days, you should expect to lose your PR status. You should not leave Canada while you are waiting to accumulate the 730 days.
link
Meet1982
Meet1982

Posted On: 8/14/2014
Meet1982
Meet1982
Thank you for your response everyone. But are there any chances of applying on compassionate or humanitarian grounds if one is short of 2 months. The reason I couldn't return was my head injury for which I can provide proofs. Will they consider it or not.

Mc
link