Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Breakup after First Stage of Approval 

KayCole
KayCole

Posted On: 9/12/2014
KayCole
KayCole
I am coming here because I feel like I have no where to turn. My husband just got through his first stage approval which is, he got his open work permit. We have been togeather two years and for the past few months I have just had a change of heart. He is a wonderful guy but I just don't think we are ment to be. He doesn't know but my have a clue I want to leave him. But he has a life and friends here.... If I leave him will he be able to keep his work permit and apply for PR on his own or will he lose the work permit and be asked to leave Canada? He is from England. He is not a bad got we have just grown apart. Love Just isn't there anymore. :/ please help me.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/12/2014
MelM
MelM
If you leave him then you will need to withdraw your application to sponsor him (doing otherwise will be fraud on both of your parts). Once you withdraw your sponsorship, this will cancel his PR application. Whether he is able to appy for PR on his own will depend on whether he meets the requirements of any immigration program (e.g. skilled worker, provincial nomination). Unfortunately it's impossible to say if he can qualify for PR on his own or not based on the very limited information you have provided. I don't know if he will be able to keep his open work permit or not.
link