Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Need Proof of Marriage to be Eligible for OHIP 

Marwa
Marwa

Posted On: 9/20/2014
Marwa
Marwa
i have a closed work permit on which i have the names of my two kids listed ( as done by the officer in the airport)
i applied for the permit from egypt with my husband and kids and we entered Canada together on the 1st of July 2014. My husband has an open work permit.
When applying to the OHIP, we were told in Service Ontario that he is not eligible as our work permits are not related and only my kids will have the OHIP with me as they were listed on my work permit

So my questions are:
1-How to relate my husband's work permit to mine?
2-How to get a document from the CIC to prove that we are married ( we have a translated and authenticated marriage certificate from our county)?
3-how to contact CIC by any other means than the call center as it is always busy and no one answers at the end of the call?

thanks a lot
Hoping to get an answer soon
link

Posted On: 9/28/2014
Hello Marwa,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. We can understand this is a frustrating situation to be in.

According to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care your husband is eligible for his own OHIP coverage if he has an open work permit and is employed full-time for at least 6 months.

Your foreign marriage is most likely already recognized by the Canadian government, if it meets specific criteria.

To ask Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) if you are able to make changes to your work permit and if they will be able to issue a document proving that you are married, you may call them at 1-888-242-2100. The CIC call centre is less busy on Thursdays and Fridays; you may be more likely to be able to reach an CIC agent then.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Sarah
Your Settlement.Org Team
link