Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Expired PR While Self Employed Abroad - Questions 

kcarpente
kcarpente

Posted On: 10/2/2014
kcarpente
kcarpente
I didn't realize that I had to maintain my PR while my Canadian Citizenship application was in process. My error.

I just took the Citizenship test today, but they are holding my application while they verify that I meet the PR requirement. By my calculations I may be short by a couple of days, but I am not sure.

When I was a PR, I registered my own business in Canada (I have an official biz number) and I was self-employed. Part of the reason I went out of Canada was to seek work.

I am wondering if I was self employed outside of Canada if this would be a valid exception to the residency minimum (2 out of 5 years)? If that is the case, would I now owe back-taxes to CRA for those years? Would I have needed to have all of that income deposited into my Canadian bank account instead of my US account?

link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/2/2014
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately being self employed outside of Canada is not accepted as a valid exception to the residency requirement for PR. Only the days you were physically in Canada can be counted towards the 730 day requirement.
link