Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal Questions 

user
user

Posted On: 10/2/2014
user
user
Hi.

Regarding PR renewal, the CIC site does not have any case specific information. Since it takes a while for the renewal process can I apply for the renewal now even though I complete the minimum stay only in Feb 2015?

My card expired in Oct 2013 but since I am physically present it is OK. Also, I need the renewal receipt for my passport renewal which expired in June.

Please tell me who should I contact for this specific inquiry?

Thanks.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/2/2014
MelM
MelM
No - you can't apply now.

You must wait until you actually meet the residency requirement (2 years out of the last 5) to apply to renew your card. The number of days you can count towards your residency requirement is locked in on the day CIC receives your application. This means that if you apply today, you won't have enough days and your renewal request will be refused. You must wait until you have enough days. Don't apply a day sooner if you want to keep your PR status.
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 10/4/2014
Klaus
Klaus
I agree with you MeIM, but the main problem seems to be that he needs a valid passport in order to renew his PR card and at the same time he needs a valid PR card in order to renew his passport. Both documents have expired, so there is a chicken and egg problem now. I'm not sure how/if this can be resolved.
link