Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Canadian Citizenship 

zeeshan ahmed
zeeshan ahmed

Posted On: 10/7/2014
zeeshan ahmed
zeeshan ahmed
Hello Guys,
I am a Canadian Permanent resident I got my PR card in 2010 I am eligible to apply for citizenship in 2015.When I got my PR card the residency requirements are different now I am hearing about the new bill on Immigration and citizenship which has different requirements when I got my PR card CIC letter stated different requirements of Residency.I would like to know whether the new rules are going to be applied on new immigrants who come and land in future.I belive it is very unfair to imply new rules to the existing immigrants who are given PR cards with old requirements and they made landing based on old requirements.Please clarify my query.

Thanks

zeeshan ahmed
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/7/2014
MelM
MelM
The new citizenship rules apply to both existing and new immigrants. Whether the new rules apply to you is determined by when you submit your citizenship application (not when you became a PR). The new citizenship residency rules are slated to come into effect next summer (July 2015). If you are applying for citizenship before this date then you will fall under the old rules. If you are applying for citizenship after this date then you will fall under the new rules.
link