Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

No PR card - Citizenship Application in Process 

Tango53
Tango53

Posted On: 10/20/2014
Tango53
Tango53
I along with my spouse and two dependent kids became permanent resident in Dec.2007.

Dependents went back after a fortnight. PR card received for all except minor.

Applied for Citizenship for myself having completed residency obligation along with dependent kids who did not complete residency(big mistake).

Partly on the misconception dependent children under 18 get citizenship automatically without having met residency obligation.

Citizenship application for myself has not been decided yet, it has been more that 3 1/2 years. Kids application has not been rejected either, instead more information about schooling has been asked for, which also shows file is active at present.

I want my family reunited in Canada as soon as possible.

Should I wait for the outcome.?

Should I take back kids application?

Should I apply PRTD for the whole family on H&C.

What are my options.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/20/2014
MelM
MelM
I would withdraw the citizenship application and resubmit it again for yourself only.

You can apply for the PRTD for your children and they should have no issues being approved.

Your spouse, however, is a different matter. Does your spouse have H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement? Being outside of Canada for work or education reasons isn't accepted for H&C purposes. If your spouse has been outside of Canada due to a serious personal illness or due to a serious family illness (e.g. parent illness) and can provide evidence to prove this prevented a return to Canada for several years - then there is some chance the H&C PRTD will be approved. Otherwise you will have to sponsor your spouse for PR through the family class (spousal sponsorship) immigration program.
link
Tango53
Tango53

Posted On: 10/24/2014
Tango53
Tango53
Hi! MelM
Thank you very much for such a quick response. I am so thankful. I think if I withdraw childern application and let application to processed for my self alone, it will save my time which is already close to 04 years my another 2 years of waiting time.
Since no plausible H&C exists in case of my spouse I will go for sponsorship.
For kids I am applying for PRTD. does this move looks good.???y
link