Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring my Boyfriend from the UK 

ccolls
ccolls

Posted On: 12/2/2014
ccolls
ccolls
Hi!

I am Canadian and my boyfriend is British.

We met while I was living in London, UK. He and I lived together from September 2011 until Sept 2012, however we continued our relationship in separate houses for the next 3 years.

we are still together, despite me moving back to Canada.

We are exploring the possibility of me sponsoring him to immigrate to Canada under a “Common law sponsorship” and want to clarify whether we would qualify as “Common law relationship” as we did live together during our relationship for one year consecutively, however lived apart in the more immediate years of our relationship. We were also living outside of Canada, so want to check whether this still applies?

Based on the criteria that is listed in an article about common law criteria:

Shelter – we lived together for one year (2011-2012), however in later years of our relationship we did not officially live together. We did spend time at each others houses and kept personal belongings at each others houses.

Sexual and Personal Behaviour – yes we are intimate
Services – yes, we consider each other a partner/pseudo-spouse

Social – yes, family and friends will confirm we are in a committed, romantic relationship

Societal – our peers, friends and family considered us in a serious, committed relationship

Economic Support – our finances were kept separate from one another

Children – we do not have any children

My boyfriend has met with an immigration representative but felt like he was just telling him what he wants to hear so that my boyfriend would pay the 5,000 GBP agreement for application. Also, this immigration representative said that this process could take until October 2015. Is that true?

I have reached out to a couple of different immigration companies to get a second opinion but I would really appreciate your advice on this, as I have just moved back to Toronto and am trying to understand what our options are for him to immigrate here.

Also, I've been reading that marriage is the only other option for sponsorship if common law doesn't count - Would getting engaged help our case at all? I really don't want to have a rushed wedding and want it to be special.

Thank you!
ccolls
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 12/3/2014
MelM
MelM
I think it's highly unlikely CIC will consider you common law since there has been such a significant break between the time you lived together and now. Unfortunately getting engaged won't make a difference. To qualify for sponsorship, you either need to get married first or live together for a year to be classified as common law again.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/3/2014
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi!

I am Canadian and my boyfriend is British.

We met while I was living in London, UK. He and I lived together from September 2011 until Sept 2012, however we continued our relationship in separate houses for the next 3 years.

we are still together, despite me moving back to Canada.

We are exploring the possibility of me sponsoring him to immigrate to Canada under a “Common law sponsorship” and want to clarify whether we would qualify as “Common law relationship” as we did live together during our relationship for one year consecutively, however lived apart in the more immediate years of our relationship. We were also living outside of Canada, so want to check whether this still applies?

Based on the criteria that is listed in an article about common law criteria:

Shelter – we lived together for one year (2011-2012), however in later years of our relationship we did not officially live together. We did spend time at each others houses and kept personal belongings at each others houses.

Sexual and Personal Behaviour – yes we are intimate
Services – yes, we consider each other a partner/pseudo-spouse

Social – yes, family and friends will confirm we are in a committed, romantic relationship

Societal – our peers, friends and family considered us in a serious, committed relationship

Economic Support – our finances were kept separate from one another

Children – we do not have any children

My boyfriend has met with an immigration representative but felt like he was just telling him what he wants to hear so that my boyfriend would pay the 5,000 GBP agreement for application. Also, this immigration representative said that this process could take until October 2015. Is that true?

I have reached out to a couple of different immigration companies to get a second opinion but I would really appreciate your advice on this, as I have just moved back to Toronto and am trying to understand what our options are for him to immigrate here.

Also, I've been reading that marriage is the only other option for sponsorship if common law doesn't count - Would getting engaged help our case at all? I really don't want to have a rushed wedding and want it to be special.

Thank you!
ccolls

1. No, you would not longer be considered common/law by CIC, short breaks are allowed, but not years.

PMM
link