Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR card category FC1/CF1 

Zahid104
Zahid104

Posted On: 2/8/2015
Zahid104
Zahid104
I arrived in Canada as a PR in sept 2013 and joined my spouse. Unfortunately things have not worked out well and we are now living living separately since 30/01/2015,we are still legally married.We stayed together for over 15 months.
My wife has now asked me to return to Pakistan as we are nolonger living together. I have a full time job and feel quite happy and settled here in Canada.

I would like to ask if I she can get me removed/deport like this?Whats my immigration status?Can I leave Canada and return using the same PR card?

I got married in 2011, and application for immigration was submitted the very same year(2011)
I m on a 5 years PR expiring in 2019, I don't recall having any condition mentioned on any of the paperwork neither its mention on my PR card.
Category is FC1/CF1 on my PR card.

link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 2/9/2015
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you are still a permanent resident and your status will not be revoked for getting a divorce or separating from your wife. If you wish to stay in Canada, you may do so at your discretion, your wife has no say in it. You may also leave Canada and return whenever you like as long as you comply with the residency obligation.
Your PR-card expires in 2019, but your status does not unless you lose it for other reasons. Once you apply for a new PR card, you will get one regardless of your marital status.
Furthermore, the end of your relationship does not terminate the sponsorship. If you can't provide for yourself, your wife remains responsible for your essential needs such as food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements of everyday living. It probably doesn't matter since you have a fulltime job, but I thought I'd mention it.
link
Zahid104
Zahid104

Posted On: 2/17/2015
Zahid104
Zahid104
Thanks for your reply....how does one find out if their PR is conditional?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/18/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Thanks for your reply....how does one find out if their PR is conditional?

1. It would show under terms and conditions on PR card "51"

PMM
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 2/18/2015
Klaus
Klaus
If you applied for PR before October 25, 2012, your PR status is not conditional. If it was after October 25, 2012 (which I doubt since you wrote that you landed in September 2013) it is indeed conditional. CIC has some information about conditional PR here.
Note that your PR status does not automatically end with your relationship to your sponsor. The website states:
additional investigations may be undertaken in cases where there is reason to believe that the condition is not being met or has not been met.

So, if you were in a genuine relationship, you are not likely to lose your status even if you are a conditional PR.
link
Jack6104
Jack6104

Posted On: 8/2/2017
Jack6104
Jack6104
I have the same situation but i wanted to know i have re married and want to sponsor my wife... Do i have still conditional pr that i can't sponsor my wife for next 5 yrs or i can sponsor her now
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 8/2/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Jack6104 wrote:
I have the same situation but i wanted to know i have re married and want to sponsor my wife... Do i have still conditional pr that i can't sponsor my wife for next 5 yrs or i can sponsor her now

1, If you were sponsored as a spouse, you can't sponsor a spouse for 5 years after the date you were "landed"
link