Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Application for Citizenship & Physical Presence. 

Settler
Settler

Posted On: 4/10/2015
Settler
Settler
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the opportunity to post on here, please forgive the lengthy explanation and my ignorance, I hope you can assist.

Married to and have been living with my Canadian wife since 1994, purchased our home in Ontario around the year 2000, my family and I have visited regularly since.

On the 26th of Nov 2006 I became a permanent resident of Canada, due to delays at the time, we started preparing for the move while living abroad with regular visits to Canada, the period, after which, I applied for and received my PRC #2 for the second term.

In 2011, my family returned to live in Canada permanently, I consequently followed in June of 2012, after sorting our affairs out abroad, my wife and both of my daughters are all Canadian citizens who live, work and study in Canada.

As noted on card, my second PRC term expires on the 24th of Feb 2017, indicating the starting date to be: 24th of Feb 2012.

I have been in Canada with the family continuously without interruption since the 17th of June 2012 up until the 14th of July 2014 (757 days or 2 years, 27) after which I had to make few - one week- trips followed by a six month of absence for contract work for my company, incorporated in Canada, abroad:

Basically, although slightly interrupted;

By the 17th of June 2015 I would have accumulated 919 days of physical presence in Canada within the past three years, 942 days within the past four years and 1095 days of -lately- interrupted stay since my settlement entry on the 17th of June 2012.

I understand that the relevant laws will be changing this summer and hope, with your help, to get a clear idea on how to apply for the citizenship.

1. Based on above information, does my application for citizenship fall under the usual procedures?
2. I assume, my application should be filled and sent by the 17th of June, correct?
3. What documents, other than my company’s contract abroad should I attach with application concerning my absence in the past year?
4. Does the fact that I’m on my second PRC effect my application?
5. Since I’m on my second PRC, what dates should I enter in the online CIC Residence Calculator? (no related options)
6. Is it necessary to hire an immigration lawyer for the application process?

Your answers and any other input or thought you can provide on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your feedback.

Oliver.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/11/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the opportunity to post on here, please forgive the lengthy explanation and my ignorance, I hope you can assist.

Married to and have been living with my Canadian wife since 1994, purchased our home in Ontario around the year 2000, my family and I have visited regularly since.

On the 26th of Nov 2006 I became a permanent resident of Canada, due to delays at the time, we started preparing for the move while living abroad with regular visits to Canada, the period, after which, I applied for and received my PRC #2 for the second term.

In 2011, my family returned to live in Canada permanently, I consequently followed in June of 2012, after sorting our affairs out abroad, my wife and both of my daughters are all Canadian citizens who live, work and study in Canada.

As noted on card, my second PRC term expires on the 24th of Feb 2017, indicating the starting date to be: 24th of Feb 2012.

I have been in Canada with the family continuously without interruption since the 17th of June 2012 up until the 14th of July 2014 (757 days or 2 years, 27) after which I had to make few - one week- trips followed by a six month of absence for contract work for my company, incorporated in Canada, abroad:

Basically, although slightly interrupted;

By the 17th of June 2015 I would have accumulated 919 days of physical presence in Canada within the past three years, 942 days within the past four years and 1095 days of -lately- interrupted stay since my settlement entry on the 17th of June 2012.

I understand that the relevant laws will be changing this summer and hope, with your help, to get a clear idea on how to apply for the citizenship.

1. Based on above information, does my application for citizenship fall under the usual procedures?
2. I assume, my application should be filled and sent by the 17th of June, correct?
3. What documents, other than my company’s contract abroad should I attach with application concerning my absence in the past year?
4. Does the fact that I’m on my second PRC effect my application?
5. Since I’m on my second PRC, what dates should I enter in the online CIC Residence Calculator? (no related options)
6. Is it necessary to hire an immigration lawyer for the application process?

Your answers and any other input or thought you can provide on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your feedback.

Oliver.

1. You require 1095 days of physical residence in the 4 prior to the date that you apply for citizenship(present Act). You can apply with less than those dates, but there is an excellent chance that your application would be referred to a Citizenship judge, which adds a year or so to the processing. There is a very good chance that the judge will refuse, if s/he only looks at physical presence.
2. You should put the dates in the Citizenship calculator at https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en&_ga=1.208035924.718636479.1407109839 to see when you will qualify.

PMM
link