Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Oath Letter Lost in Mail - Questions 

joy12
joy12

Posted On: 4/13/2015
joy12
joy12
Hi,

I passed my citizenship written test in march first week. The officer told me i will recieve oath letter in 4 weeks. now 5 weeks have passed and yet i have not recieve any oath letter.

When i called CIC then agent told me that letter was already issued and oath day has been passed. i was shocked to hear that. i was checking online status regularly and keeping an eye on my postal mail box. but nothing came up.

Now, agent told me to send an explaination to the centre (in my case scarborough) . Now, i am very much worried. Will they consider this explaination that i did not recieve the oath letter? Will they issue me a new date? Please suggest if it is a normal case?

Any help will be appreciated.
link

Posted On: 4/15/2015
Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry. I understand that you must be concerned since you did not receive the letter telling you your oath date.

According to the CIC representative, I spoke to, you should send a letter to your local office within 30 days explaining why you missed the oath and that you would like to be rescheduled for a new date. Afterwards, you will be given a new date for your oath and citizenship ceremony.

You can also find more information on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website: How long will I wait between my citizenship test and the ceremony?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

==
Julia
Settlement.Org Team
link
can2006
can2006

Posted On: 4/17/2015
can2006
can2006
Hi joy12,

We both are in same boat.

In the first week of march, I passed the test and was told exactly what you were told.

Didn't receive oath letter and when called CIC, then informed me that oath date has passed.

Sent a letter to Scarborough office but haven't heard from them.

Did you hear back any thing.

Regards,
can2006

link
joy12
joy12

Posted On: 4/22/2015
joy12
joy12
No response from CIC - scarborough yet. They have already recieved my letter of explaination why i did not attend the oath ceremony. I am still waiting for their response.

I dont know when this waiting period will be over.
Does anyone have any idea what are their timelines to response on such matters?

Regards
kawal
link
summer2015
summer2015

Posted On: 8/5/2015
summer2015
summer2015
Hi joy12,

I took my written test in end June and officer told me right after the test that I will be granted citizenship and I should expect Oath letter in a few weeks. Now it's Aug, I haven't received and when I called CIC call centre ( 1-888-242-2100), the agent said she can't help me to check whether the Oath letter has been sent or not.

Can you tell me which CIC number do you call to check the oath letter?
I took my citizenship test in Scarborough, Ontario (200 Town centre court).
The CIC number I called was 1-888-242-2100 but agent said they can't check for you before 24 months are reached.

I also check online status everyday but they never update the online status - it's still "Decision Made - will send you letter for the test". Although I have completed the test 5 weeks ago.

Thank you very much for your help and please let me know what number (or office) I can call to check the oath letter status.

Thanks
summer2015

Hi,

I passed my citizenship written test in march first week. The officer told me i will recieve oath letter in 4 weeks. now 5 weeks have passed and yet i have not recieve any oath letter.

When i called CIC then agent told me that letter was already issued and oath day has been passed. i was shocked to hear that. i was checking online status regularly and keeping an eye on my postal mail box. but nothing came up.

Now, agent told me to send an explaination to the centre (in my case scarborough) . Now, i am very much worried. Will they consider this explaination that i did not recieve the oath letter? Will they issue me a new date? Please suggest if it is a normal case?

Any help will be appreciated.
link
summer2015
summer2015

Posted On: 8/5/2015
summer2015
summer2015
Hi can2006,

I took my written test in end June and officer told me right after the test that I will be granted citizenship and I should expect Oath letter in a few weeks. Now it's Aug, I haven't received and when I called CIC call centre ( 1-888-242-2100), the agent said she can't help me to check whether the Oath letter has been sent or not.

Can you tell me which CIC number do you call to check the oath letter?
I took my citizenship test in Scarborough, Ontario (200 Town centre court).
The CIC number I called was 1-888-242-2100 but agent said they can't check for you before 24 months are reached.

I also check online status everyday but they never update the online status - it's still "Decision Made - will send you letter for the test". Although I have completed the test 5 weeks ago.

Thank you very much for your help and please let me know what number (or office) I can call to check the oath letter status.

Thanks
summer2015

Hi joy12,

We both are in same boat.

In the first week of march, I passed the test and was told exactly what you were told.

Didn't receive oath letter and when called CIC, then informed me that oath date has passed.

Sent a letter to Scarborough office but haven't heard from them.

Did you hear back any thing.

Regards,
can2006

link