Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Partner Sponsorship 

Ian03
Ian03

Posted On: 5/20/2015
Ian03
Ian03
I am a UK national with a partner who is a Canadian citizen. she has lived and worked in Canada for 14 years. I am about to move to Canada when we will start the sponsored route to PR. I want to work once over there.
Can anyone say what the average time is from start to finish for sponsorship. CIC website quotes 29 months but an immigration consultant is saying between 3 and 4 months. Will I be able to work once we start the application for sponsorship.

Ian
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 5/20/2015
MelM
MelM
Assuming you apply outland - it will likely be around the 6-8 month mark.

No - you won't be able to work once you start the application process. Open work permits are not granted as part of the outland application process - then are only granted as part of the inland process (approximately 4 months after the application is submitted). Applying inland is a bad choice for someone from the UK since the processing times are so long (outland is a much better choice even though no open work permit is provided).

If you want to work before PR status is granted, you'll have to find an employer who is willing to offer you a full time job. That employer will then need to obtain an approved LMIA which will involved advertising the job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role, paying a $1K fee and then waiting 2-4 months for the LMIA to be processed. If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit tied to that specific employer (closed work permit).
link