Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsorship Application - Questions 

user
user

Posted On: 6/18/2015
user
user
Good Afternoon

A friend of mine, who is a Canadian citizen, met my sister while he was on vacation in Colombia

My sister has a 9 years old daughter and my friend wants to marry her, adopt her daughter and bring them both to canada

So we would like to know if:

1. Does he has to marry my sister in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

2. Does has to legally adopt the child first in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

thanks a lot
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 6/18/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Good Afternoon

A friend of mine, who is a Canadian citizen, met my sister while he was on vacation in Colombia

My sister has a 9 years old daughter and my friend wants to marry her, adopt her daughter and bring them both to canada

So we would like to know if:

1. Does he has to marry my sister in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

2. Does has to legally adopt the child first in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

thanks a lot

1. They have to be married or have lived together for 1 year before he can sponsor her.
2. No the child doesn't have to be adopted, she is included in the application as a dependent of her mother.
3. Note, the mother will have to prove custody and the ability to have the child emigrate from Colombia, either a court order or notarized permission of the father.

PMM
link