Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Canadian-Born Mother - Can I get Citizenship? 

fingers1954
fingers1954

Posted On: 7/9/2015
fingers1954
fingers1954
Greetings,

My mother was born in Ft. Macleod, Alberta in 1912.

When she was 2 years old, her family moved to the U.S. She was not registered, or christened (blessed) in Canada, but her church (Mormon) issued a birth certificate upon her christening (birth blessing and naming) when she was in the U.S.

I have a photo copy of that document and wonder if I can obtain Canadian citizenship?

I'm a gay man and unhappy living in a small very Mormon town in Utah. Even though gays have more rights in the U.S. there is a lot of prejudice here in this local. I understand life is better for gay men in Canada. I'm married to a man, retired and have a comfortable income with the ability to buy property in Canada.

I applied to vital statistics in Edmonton, Alberta and found out that mother was not registered at birth, and my attempt at gaining citizenship failed.

Since then I have discovered this church issued document and wonder if that might make a difference?

Mike
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
It sounds like this document was issued by a church in the US - is that correct? If so, that's of no help. Do you have any official Canadian documents that prove your mother's birth in Canada?
link
fingers1954
fingers1954

fingers1954
fingers1954
I do not have any other documents, official Canadian or otherwise. To my knowledge Mom didn't have a birth certificate in the U.S. either. In those days, early 1900's, many children were not registered and were delivered in a farm house by their dad without even a midwife, as was the case with mother. I thought I read on a Canadian citizenship web site, that sometimes the province will accept a church issued "christening" record as proof of birth. (I suppose that means a Canadian parish, diocese or ward?) The Mormon church is and was at the time active in Canada, albeit, the "branch or ward" in Ft. Macleod didn't issue the birth certificate. It was issued from the ward in Lapoint, UT (where the family moved after living in Alberta) and says so right on it.

I knew it was a long shot...perhaps I should look elsewhere for final years in retirement? Many thanks for your reply to my post!

Mike

It sounds like this document was issued by a church in the US - is that correct? If so, that's of no help. Do you have any official Canadian documents that prove your mother's birth in Canada?

Mike Karren
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 7/10/2015
MelM
MelM
I'm sorry - I don't see this working out for you if her birth wasn't registered in Canada and you have no other Canadian documentation proving her Canadian birth. Yes - in some cases a christening/baptismal certificate may be accepted as proof. However this would have required her to be christened/baptized in Canada. Since she was christened in the US - this isn't proof you can provide.
link
fingers1954
fingers1954

Posted On: 7/10/2015
fingers1954
fingers1954
thanks for your help.

I'm sorry - I don't see this working out for you if her birth wasn't registered in Canada and you have no other Canadian documentation proving her Canadian birth. Yes - in some cases a christening/baptismal certificate may be accepted as proof. However this would have required her to be christened/baptized in Canada. Since she was christened in the US - this isn't proof you can provide.

Mike
link