Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Ceremony + Passport 

OMRS210
OMRS210

Posted On: 7/11/2015
OMRS210
OMRS210
Hello

I finally received my notice to take the Oath which is going to happen on July 21st of this year.

I had to leave the country by the same day for my daughter's wedding which is happening on July 22nd in Lebanon and I wanted to know if that is possible.

Immigration and citizenship will take my PR Card upon arrival to the ceremony and I will be left only with my passport from my country of birth and my citizenship certificate.

Is there a way to leave the country with my current passport and my citizenship certificate just to attend the wedding and comeback later to apply for the passport? Can I enter canada with my current passport + my citizenship certificate?

Also a friend of mine told me that I can talk to the immigration and citizenship officers during the oath and show them all the documents that proves that I have a family emergency and this way they can update their system and issue me a passport on the spot.

Anyone encountered such an issue before and what are your suggestions?

Thank you
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 7/11/2015
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately your friend gave you bad information - it's impossible for the citizenship officers to issue you a passport on the spot. They don't issue passports. You have to go to a separate office to obtain a passport and you typically can't apply until a few days after your citizenship ceremony. There is a rush process for passports - but even then the passport isn't available until the next business day after you apply. So there is no way for you to obtain a passport on the same day as your oath.

Are you from the UK? Do you hold a visa exempt passport? If so, you can return to Canada just by using your passport.
link
OMRS210
OMRS210

Posted On: 7/12/2015
OMRS210
OMRS210
No, my father holds an Iraqi passport which basically requires a visa to enter Canada.

Can an iraqi passport+showing the citizenship certificate on the way back be sufficient to let him in the country again? or a citizenship certificate won't be sufficient to act as a replacement for his PR?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 7/12/2015
MelM
MelM
His first problem is the airline - not entering Canada. The airline most likely won't even let him board the plane to Canada with just the citizenship certificate - it's not classified as a travel document.
link
kaziz
kaziz

Posted On: 7/15/2015
kaziz
kaziz
its not good idea to leave Canada without taking Canadian passport, but if feel that is so important, only there is a one way to re enter Canada, confirm with immigration here(Canada) if it is possible to apply Canadian passport in Canadian embassy at your home country, Please confirm it first then leave. Still my advise is don't go with out Canadian passport Please don't take chance.Apply for urgent passport in Canada.

His first problem is the airline - not entering Canada. The airline most likely won't even let him board the plane to Canada with just the citizenship certificate - it's not classified as a travel document.

link