Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Out of country 3 years with Valid PR card 

cherdav
cherdav

Posted On: 8/5/2015
cherdav
cherdav
Hi everyone, hoping someone can give me a straight answer. I've contacted the Canadian embassy and they send an automatic, general response but I can't seem to reach a human. That said...

I'm Canadian and my husband is a British citizen. We lived together in Canada from 2005-2012 (he had PR the entire duration and never left the country but for a couple of one week visits to the UK). We moved from Canada to the UK in 2012. He already has a permanent residence card, which expires next year in March 2016. My mother in Canada needs us close to help take care of her, and we also want to be there to start a family.

Can he still enter Canada and resume living there immediately after we land? Will there be any issues when landing at the airport in Canada? Does he need to apply for anything else in advance? Or is what he has enough?

Please let me know asap. THANKS!
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 8/6/2015
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

your husband can still return to Canada without problems and continue to live there. Since he has been absent for quite a while, the officer at the border might ask some questions, but as your husband has been accompanying you (his wife, a Canadian citizen), the absence from Canada does not matter. It doesn't even matter who accompanied whom as long as you were not separated.
Just make sure that you keep an accurate record of his absences from Canada including whether or not you accompanied him. He'll need this information when he applies for a new PR card next year. Or better yet, he should apply as soon as he returns to Canada as the processing time is currently 120 calendar days (see here).

Articles about maintaining permanent residence can be found here: How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status? and here: What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?.
link