Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Visit/Study Permit during Spouse Sponsorship 

talrejaameet
talrejaameet

Posted On: 8/13/2015
talrejaameet
talrejaameet
Dear all-
I am a PR and have applied for my spouse sponsorship few months back. Due to LONG wait times ( 30 months), my wife wants to utilize this time getting Canadian education in Canada and be with me until our sponsorship case is finalized. My question is as follows:
Can she apply and get study permit while her spouse sponsorship case is in process?

In case she does not want to study, can she apply for visit visa and be with me until the sponsorship is finalized.

Thanks for your input/advice/suggestion.

Ameet
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 8/13/2015
MelM
MelM
Yes - she can certainly apply for a study permit or visitor visa. It does tend to be more difficult to be approved if you have a spouse who is Canadian and who has sponsored you for PR (since CIC know you have plans to eventually remain in Canada long term). However you can certainly give it a shot. If she is applying for a study permit, she should make sure the education she plans to complete in Canada makes sense in light of her previous education and work experience.
link